PDA

View Full Version : V-Twin fork brace doesn't fit!?

drifter02
22nd November 2010, 15:20
I recently got a new V-Twin fork brace off eBay but it seems to be about .05 inches too small. I have tried to fit the sides over the slider uppers, but it is a no go. Is this a normal kind of thing? What should I do to make it fit? Can I lightly sand the sliders or the inside of the brace? HELP!!??

Dave

dino
22nd November 2010, 16:19
Do not sand it or bend it. It does fit, I thought the same thing when I installed mine.
You have to install it as loose as it goes and slowly tighten it evenly and keep refitting it. All of a sudden it will kinda snap into fitting. Be patient and take your time with it. Once I got it into place I had my brother sit on the bike to level it and pump the forks as I slowly tightened it.

khaskins
22nd November 2010, 18:06
Mine was a very tight fit. I just used the bolts to cinch it together and it is fine.

AsSeenOnTV
22nd November 2010, 18:29
Did you raise the wheel up and loosen all the pinch bolts?

drifter02
22nd November 2010, 19:04
Loosening the pinch bolts isn't the problem. The ID of the brace is about 4 hundredths of an inch smaller than the fork slider. Can oxidation on the aluminum slider be that thick? I checked the part number and it is the right brace for my bike, but I am very puzzled by this.

Dave

racerwill
22nd November 2010, 19:17
it's supposed to be tight... it's called interference fit.... get all four bolts started and slowley tighten them down... tighten each one a little then another and another and keep tightening evenly until it is all the way on......the Superbrace seems to fit a little better but I've installed the V_Twin and it seems tight but it does go on.....

Ww

williamv1203
23rd November 2010, 00:14
It wouldn't hurt to give the tops of the fork lowers a light clean with some 1000 emery paper to remove any oxidization. The a wipe with WD. You don't want the oxidization process eating into the sliders under the brace.
All are correct though with the tight fit. My Kuryakyn brace looked too small and was tight going on, but it did.

drifter02
23rd November 2010, 07:04
Okay everyone. Thanks loads for the info and help. I'll hit the sliders with a bit of emory cloth then try it. Maybe I was just being too cautious and a little paranoid about trying too hard.

Dave

drifter02
8th December 2010, 18:22
No matter what I tried I couldn't get the V-Twin brace to fit, so I bit the bullet and got a Crossroads Performance brace. Fit easily and looks good.

Dave

Durockrolly
8th December 2010, 18:39
No matter what I tried I couldn't get the V-Twin brace to fit, so I bit the bullet and got a Crossroads Performance brace. Fit easily and looks good.

Dave

What, no pics???

drifter02
8th December 2010, 18:47
What, no pics???

Not today...too dark outside. I'll post some tomorrow, if you promiose not to laugh at the dirt on the bike. She looks nasty but runs great.

Dave

flashedwards
8th December 2010, 18:56
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/1252/X-3021-T.jpg
Dave...don't get me wrong, Crossroads makes some great looking stuff and their fork braces like all of their other parts are "skeletonized" but I wonder if the removal of all of that material might have some effect on the rigidity of the unit. The main function of a the brace is to add rigidity to the forks so I was just thinking to myself......
Flash

drifter02
9th December 2010, 15:06
Here are some pics of my newly installed Crossroads fork brace:

drifter02
10th December 2010, 18:52
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/1252/X-3021-T.jpg
Dave...don't get me wrong, Crossroads makes some great looking stuff and their fork braces like all of their other parts are "skeletonized" but I wonder if the removal of all of that material might have some effect on the rigidity of the unit. The main function of a the brace is to add rigidity to the forks so I was just thinking to myself......
Flash

I don't know. The Crossroads isn't as heavy as the Screamin' Eagle or the V-twin version, but it seems very solid and rigid. Like many things these days, they can make aluminum alloy to be very stong.

Dave