PDA

View Full Version : FYI, 04-05 owners with front brake problems

RSK
15th July 2005, 02:49
I just got my 04 1200R back from the dealer service department, and thought that I would share my experience, in case it will be useful. My Roadster suddenly developed a front brake system problem about a month ago: the lever would not be pushed forward far enough by the hydraulic system. It would rattle on startup, and would so far back that it would keep the brake light on constantly. The fluid level was fine, and there were no visible leaks. I thought about bleeding the front brake system first, but after seeing posts about front 04-05 master cylinder problems, I decided to take the bike to the dealer and not bother bleeding the system. I was a bit skeptical about the problem being air in the system, because the problem developed suddenly at a time when it was being ridden several times a week. It turns out to have been the right decision, because the dealer immediately diagnosed the problem as "internal leak in front master cylinder" and replaced the front master cylinder under warranty. Problem solved.

If you have a similar front brake level problem, your solution may be the same as mine. I hope that this helps someone!

xena
15th July 2005, 03:52
Good post. Thanks for sharing that.

thunderpaw
16th July 2005, 13:49
I am just now beginning to see that problem on my '05 1200R. Thanks!

Kim

Tucson_Tim
14th March 2006, 23:51
I think I'm seeing this on my 04 1200R (6.5K miles). The brake lever vibrates a lot when idling and I just noticed that it doesn't go back far enough to turn off the brake light - so brake light is always on.

I have the service manual. I have adequate tools and pretty handy with them - by no means Mr. Goodwrench though. Is it a tough job to replace the top master cylinder?

Tim

mordak
14th March 2006, 23:58
Thanks for the 411. I'll keep my eyes open for that problem with my bike. http://v2-forum.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

cantolina
15th March 2006, 00:01
I think I'm seeing this on my 04 1200R (6.5K miles). The brake lever vibrates a lot when idling and I just noticed that it doesn't go back far enough to turn off the brake light - so brake light is always on.

I have the service manual. I have adequate tools and pretty handy with them - by no means Mr. Goodwrench though. Is it a tough job to replace the top master cylinder?

Tim

You have what you need, it seems...

No big deal....I'm sure you could handle it...

whispanic
15th March 2006, 00:02

Tim

Its a known failure...talk to the warranty man.

Adios

Tucson_Tim
15th March 2006, 00:05
Its a known failure...talk to the warranty man.

Adios

My bike is off warranty. Is this a recall?

ted
15th March 2006, 00:13
Wouldn't hurt to take it in, and let them know that you know, that it is a known manufacturing defect. Worst case? You get to fix it yourself.
Ted

Bow6
15th March 2006, 00:34
I agree with ted... Won't cost to try it...

whispanic
15th March 2006, 00:51
My bike is off warranty. Is this a recall?

Not that I am aware of...but I know there are threads around here that discuss it quite a bit.

This is a new MC design (cheaper IMHO) so HD may not have had the kinks worked out yet.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/harleyhog3/M1178.pdf

Above is a service update that has a great breakdown of the MC. It used to take 15-20 bucks to repair one , but Im not sure about the new design.

Adios

Tucson_Tim
15th March 2006, 01:17
I've looked thru several old threads here and I've looked thru the service manual and parts manual and I think it needs the rebuild kit part # 42809-04, which comes with a new spring. I think this is what is failing - not pushing the brake lever back far enough to turn off the brake light.

Dumb question: Can I get the DOT5 brake fluid at any auto parts store?

Tim

Tucson_Tim
15th March 2006, 01:22
Maybe one of the moderators can move this thread over to the correct section: Tires, Wheels and Brakes.

(Not my fault - didn't start this one)

h2ocreeker
15th March 2006, 01:43
My 04 1200r front brake was sometimes firm other times mushy. Fluid level was OK. Dealer rebuilt master cyl. under waranty last summer. So if it acts up bring it in before warranty expires. I've heard of a handfull of cases just like mine, all covered.

Tucson_Tim
15th March 2006, 01:55
My 04 1200r front brake was sometimes firm other times mushy. Fluid level was OK. Dealer rebuilt master cyl. under waranty last summer. So if it acts up bring it in before warranty expires. I've heard of a handfull of cases just like mine, all covered.

My warranty has expired. Will probably rebuild it myself...

XLFREAK
15th March 2006, 02:18
Haven't run into this and my brake lever doesn't vibrate. The other side, though, is another story. If I'm cruising along and take my hand of the left grip, the things vibrates so badly I can't even see out of the mirror.

Tucson_Tim
15th March 2006, 02:24
Maybe one of the moderators can move this thread over to the correct section: Tires, Wheels and Brakes.

(Not my fault - didn't start this one)

Bump. Bump.

BWP 5p
15th March 2006, 22:16
MY 05 Roadster does it too.

buffalobob837
28th March 2006, 16:56
For some unknown reason the front brake line (braided stainless steel replacement) is a brownish color and no front brake. However there's no leakage on the garage floor. I didn't have any problem with the front brake and only had it out about twice over the winter around the block. Think this has any thing to do with what you're talking about with the 04's?

Snuffy
28th March 2006, 23:54
Haven't noticed my 04R doing this, but if I don't ride for a couple of days due to weather, I've noticed that I have to pump the brake lever up. Not leaking any fluid and after pump up its fine. Anybody have this or is it a normal thing after a 2 or 3 day period of not riding

Turbota
29th March 2006, 00:47
The dealer replaced my front brake master cylinder under warranty also when my brake light stayed on all the time.

I guess it's a common problem with these bikes.