The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > Blogs > 62 Ironhead
XLF Gallery XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Members Birthdays
DRAWTOOL (65), svoracer (62), curly h (61), mosby (58), barry1967 (48), BiggyJ (48), the_MAD_Baker (47), deadeye (42), SharkMDick (40), Ximo (39), bdbecker (32)
Rate this Entry

How to remove front wheel bearing outer races

Submit "How to remove front wheel bearing outer races" to Facebook Submit "How to remove front wheel bearing outer races" to Digg Submit "How to remove front wheel bearing outer races" to del.icio.us Submit "How to remove front wheel bearing outer races" to StumbleUpon Submit "How to remove front wheel bearing outer races" to Google
Posted 3rd June 2012 at 09:58 by 62 Ironhead

Was trying to change out the front wheel bearings and the outer races were stuck hard. Couldn't tap them out from the back and didn't have a suitable puller.

A few of the guys on the XL Forum however came up with the idea of running a bead of weld on the faces. This not only puts a bit of heat into the process, when they cool down they contract a bit and then with a bit of persuasion they fell out real easy.

Posted in Uncategorized
Views 573 Comments 2
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I have experienced this problem. Looks to be very similar wheel type hub,mine's 75 Sportster. After unsuccessful attempt to remove them myself. I took mine to a local garage id used in the past and the guy ruined the hub, he used a hammer and a chisel. Yeah he got the racers out, but not without causing racer wall damage, he assured me while he was doing this that it was going to be fine, polish that down no problem he said, then he smashed the oil seal cuff off on the break disk side. Ive not spoken to the guy since. I did manage a repair of sort's useing a allum putty, it works but wish id seen your posting before this happened, looks like the way to go... while on the subject of front wheels and such, any idea where I can get hold of a front wheel break disk for my 75 Sporty. Ive been looking for a while now and nothing in the UK...Nothing has come up on ebay for the USA either ???
  2. Old Comment
    I got my disc from J&P out of the USA, searched everywhere looking for one on eBay as well.

http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2015...?entrypage=220

Sorry to hear about your misadventure with getting the bearings out of the hub. The bead of weld is an old trick which I found through some research on the Forum.

Good luck on your project, cheers