Thread: Rigid_EVO My project.
View Single Post
Old 5th March 2012
Chief Know It All

tauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the rough

Sorry I haven't been around. Had one or two minor hiccups over here. I haven't worked on my bike for months. The rear hub problem has put the project on hold. The nice hub I had was actually for a front wheel with provision for bolting on a disc on one side. We put it on the lathe and used the dividing head to drill and tap the other side. It came out perfect and I fitted the 1" bearings with no problem at all.
I built the frame for a 1" rear axle and everything was fine, I had the hub coated and took everything to Allan to lace the wheel but he couldn't get it done with the spokes I supplied. I then took 2 more sets of spokes to the coaters and we tried those. No joy. The spoke angle is the problem so I found 2 more rear hubs but they're both 3/4" axle versions. One doesn't have enough material around the bearing collar so the 1" bearings won't work. The other one has problems too.
We made two collars for the hub and we'll press fit them over the 3/4" bearing housings and Tig weld the circumferences. After that we'll bore out the original bearing collars to take the 1" versions. My buddy forgot to get the chrome off the surfaces so I'm sending the hub for sand blasting before I can weld. Then after that I can have it coated and get it laced. To just bore the original collars would have left too little material around the bearing. That's where I am on this build.
There's a company over here that makes billet wheels and the guy offered to manufacture me a set of wheels just to promote his brand. He was even going to produce the front wheel with the hub in it for my drum brake. I didn't go for it because I want spokes. Sometimes I create problems for myself.
This hub story is all because of my location. Africa. I can't go down to my local swop meet or bike shop for a hub. To go to the stealership "again" would be trouble and I can't afford to buy a hub at those prices. The again bit ended in a physical thing with a "suit" who didn't see the need to wait his turn in the queue at the parts counter. I'm no longer welcome at HD!.
It will all work out in the end I suppose.
How the mighty have fallen. I was earning 300 bucks an hour doing what I do and business got so bad I couldn't even afford to buy my usual data bundle. I haven't been around due to my financial situation, that's the truth. My Danish bud came to the rescue and offered me a job with him. I now earn 300 a day, lol. I work my fingers to the bone and I'm exhausted when I get home. I haven't worked for a boss since the 80's. I'm toughing it out and I love it. There are a few things in the pipeline though and i'm positive. Go well guys, I've missed you all. God Bless.