Thread: Ironhead starting with mikuni carb
View Single Post
Old 29th September 2011
Master Custom Bike Builder

piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhakakha View Post
I have been having a hard time kick starting my 72 XLH with 38 round slide mikuni carb, and am now more confused after reading some threads. The times when I have been able to start I have the enricher lever UP (so the plunger is down), and after the bike starts I push the level end down (so the plunger is pulled up). The bike then runs fine. Am I doing this backwards? The one time I did get it started with the lever down (and plunger up) it was fine until I pulled the lever up (plunger down) and the bike stopped immediately. I have looked at Piniongear's posts (thanks), and am just unclear. In the following picture to me the lever is down. Thanks for the help,
Ben

[/IMG]
The pic is postage stamp size and I cannot enlarge it so I cannot see the details of the lever.
But, applying the starter system to start the engine is done by pressing the lever down.
This raises the plunger, which opens up the starter jets and air passage.
After the engine starts you raise the lever.
This motion sends the plunger down where it blocks off the starter jet and air passage.

So, it sounds like yours is acting backward. Not right, although I have no idea why this is happening.

Let me ask you this...... When you try to start the engine with the lever down (plunger up) are you giving the engine any throttle when you spin the starter?
You are supposed to keep the throttle slide completely closed to maintain the strong vacuum necessary to activate the starting system.

Other than that all I can figure out is the carb adjustment must be way off....... but that said, I cannot imagine how that could be.
As I recall you have all the correct parts in the VM38 and this carb should start the bike with a simple 2 kicks at most or a short spin of the electric starter if yours is so equipped.
pg