View Single Post
Old 20th November 2004
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

collinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura about

Socal,
I had a similar issue on an older bike. I took it to a large professional body shop and asked for advice. They told me to use a "final finish" machine rubbing compound, but advised to only do it by hand. They advised to use a soft cotton applicator. Also never let the compound dry out but keep your work damp and slippery. He recommended a light back and forth action as opposed to swirling. The swirling you see could have been caused by someone wiping a dust cloth over a dry finish or just bad wiping habits and towels filled with dirt or dust. Waxing in the sun on a hot finish can cause grief. Shallow swirling can be removed, but realize you are cutting down into the clearcoat to smooth it out. Do several light applications to a fender first, checking the results. You will get the feel for it. Again - keep you r work damp - back and forth motion. Once you are satisfied, give it a wax job!
A washed and waxed black bike is beautiful, but it is unforgiving if a wax job goes bad. I hand rubbed mine and it turned out very nicely.
Billy
Yo momma!

Last edited by collinsb; 20th November 2004 at 04:22..