The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
Speedway Instruments
Foxcreek Leather
Superbrace
NRHS Performance Long 2

Get Lowered
Tags
forks, problems, suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Betty254 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Forks are off

I was recently involved in an accident on my nightster (not fun). Not any major damage but I did go down on the right side. My bars took most of the abuse but now it feels like my forks are off. When I lean right it seems very loose and when I lean left it seems tight. Also when I'm riding a straight line it wants to gradually go right (as if a car/truck had a bad alignment). Is there any way I can fix the issue or do I have to bring it to the dealer?
Old 21st January 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: bmw r75/6...gone
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
devilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura about

Just a thought. You may want to double check the rear wheel alignment. That's been known to make 'em track funny.
-DH
Old 22nd January 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Loosen and retighten the front end, the forks may be twisted. There is a certain procedure to follow, but I'm too "tired" to remember what it is.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 22nd January 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

As XLXR said, loosen the front forks. Then get out your service manual and follow the procedure for tightening 'em up and be sure to adjust the "fall away."

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 22nd January 2011
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Loosen and realign the handbars also, then retighten when straight, most likely the cause of your alignment issue

just loosen the triple tree pinch bolts top and bottom to realign the triple trees, NOT ALL AT THE SAME TIME, cause the front end will drop out..

the FM is really NOT specific about the proper fall away method,

as long as the stembolt has NOT been loosened or re-torqued.. fall away shouldn't even be an issue..with the bike being lifted front wheel on, tighten it down until you have resistance. Then back off until it is smooth, swinging the front end from side to side making sure it has no resistance or no binding at all.

just double check proper alignment of the triple tree's and handlebars which most likely took the brunt of the fall causing your alignment issue..

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need??

Last edited by xllent01; 22nd January 2011 at 15:24..
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd January 2011
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

If you are not familar with these procedures, you should have the work done by a professional. Having the front end setup wrong can cause some serious problems when riding at speed.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.