The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (61), pbudrovic (59), gene04 (57), guvnor (50), jrogers329 (44), ksoggs (39), dmurphy68 (37)
Foxcreek Leather
DK Customs
Lowbrow Customs
DK Customs

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th December 2007
Biker

iron1000head is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kicker Conversion?

I'm new to this forum and also to the world of XL's. I have recently picked up an 85 rigid. which i have taken down to the frame for a winter drinking project. The one thing I would really like to do to this bike is convert it from elec start to a true kicker. and I mean true!!! I want to X the elec. start all together. Have any of ya done this? If so I would sure appreciate some guidance to some of the parts and steps I will need to do. THANKS!
Old 14th December 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

It's going to be expensive on your '85 since there is no hole in the case for the kicker shaft to go into the primary. HD stopped putting in the holes in 1980. You'd have to strip things down to see about having the hole drilled and bushed. Pop off the primary cover, remove the clutch assembly and see if there is a boss still in place for the kicker bushing. If so, you could have a machine shop install the bushing. You'd still need the stop pin for the kicker crank gear and the pin on the outside of the case that locates the thrust plate. Could be easier to pick up an earlier motor for your bike if you can find someone to trade with.

V-Twin sells complete kicker kits. I fitted one to my '78 and it works fine, even though it's made in Taiwan! Would love to see one of those little guys try to kick over my motor with 10:1 pistons!

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 14th December 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

You can't put a kicker on late 84 / 85 Sporty due to the bloody alternator on the back of the clutch, they are fitted with a special trap door, no room there for gears/spring/sleeve/ratchet etc...

Only way is to swap engines, 79 are the last one you can easily fit a kicker on.

Patrick
Old 15th December 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBi Street Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
OutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura about

I will have to disagree my 80' has the hole for the kicker its just plugged with a cap that is held in place with a screw inside the cases.
http://outlaws-iguana-ranch.com Outlaws Website

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/OutlawTexan67/My%20Ironhead/Gifs/BigRotatingSkull.gif "Ironhead Mafia" European Chapter
Old 15th December 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: IRONHEAD
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha Virago
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
Jason2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I know and that aint much. 1979 was officially the last year for the kicker, although some 1980 cases are 79 left-overs. And that being said the cases can be adapted to kick start. 1981 and up have different changes to the cases and cannot be easily changed to a kick starter.

For whats its worth, I am currently in the progress of rebuilding my 81 and I have a 75% of a 1979 motor on a shelf in my shed for a future project. I bought the 79 cases so that I would have the kick-start option if I wanted it. It makes my knees ache every time I think of building it..
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th December 2007

OutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura about

yeah a good source that I know said there are 2 different cases in 80' the earlier half of 80 still had the kicker hole.And some other changes were made in the later half of 80 for instance some of the internal oil passages were also changed.
Old 15th December 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Ironhead_Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

i hope no one considers this a "hijack" of this thread, but i've been wanting to ask this and i figure it might help answer iron1000head's original question...

i also want to completely ditch the electric start on my 1970 XLH (with kicker conversion) and all it's components. so... what all can i lose? and can i downgrade the giant car-sized battery??

thanks for any help and feel free to tell me i should start a new thread w/ this.
Old 15th December 2007

If you want to get rid of the E-start all together then then you can ditch everything starter,solenoid,starter relay and all the components that go with the starting system.
But if I were you and I am pretty sure it can be done.I would keep both and use which ever one you choose at any given time.
Old 15th December 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Ironhead_Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, Texan. i appreciate your advice about keeping both, but honestly the electric start has never worked anyway, and i'm tired of trying to fix it - that's what gave me the idea to remove it altogether. that, and the kicker is quite reliable - hot or cold. but i'll keep the electric start system until i know i can start it with one or two kicks - nearly every time.
Old 15th December 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

My '77 XLCH I purchased new when I was just 22 always started right up and never let me down in the two+ years I owned it. Never hurt me either! Well, not much anyway!

Now with my '78 XLH, I've added the kicker and have thought of losing the starter, battery, etc. to drop about 40 lbs of weight. However, at 52 I figure I'll keep the electric and try to lose the 40 lbs myself! Some days it's really nice to just press the button and hear the beast roar to life but it's also good to have the kicker in case it's needed.

Eric
Know Thy Hog