The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > XR Sportster Motorcycle Talk - XR750, XR1000, XR1200
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

XR Sportster Motorcycle Talk - XR750, XR1000, XR1200 For XR Sportsters: XR750, XR1000, XR1200

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
Foxcreek Leather
Get Lowered
Dead Creek Cycles
Lowbrow Customs

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: XR 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
German61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of light
Default XR1000 Cafe Project Pictures

...I did already introduce in the Cafe section.
For those who did not see until now:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1073949

This is the last intermediate result before disassembling for painting:

Because I am now more in the technical details of XR1000 I will continue this topic here.

These days I assembled the engine. I did use a set of high compression pistons (10.5) from JE-Pistons and a set of E-cams from BlackWidowCams.

With the new cam gears came up a problem. The cam gears were running pretty sticky with rough points. After some research a used an old pinion shaft, some fine lapping paste and spin all gears few minutes. After doing that the gears were running very smooth.

Besides that I did install a XLCR shifting unit, in order to mount the shift lever backwards and stay with the original shifting order.

Finally the engine looks now like that:

Frame is coated and suspension installed. The engine ready to install.
Now I am waiting for the painted body parts...

I will keep you posted, if you like.
Andreas
Old 31st January 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Ice is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the rough

looking good
"Some people will tell you that slow is good-and it may be, on some days...but I'm here to tell you that fast is better.I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me.Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.That is why God made fast motorcycles ..." - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 31st January 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Uly (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: 2010 Ural Patrol(sold)
Phaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond repute

yes keep us posted
Old 4th February 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to all

Dont mind me asking but how much for the cam set?
Old 4th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR-1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1984
jessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nice
Default Great job

Andreas,

You are doing a nice job! Looks great!

2002 XL1200S "The Black Beauty" NRHS 1250 kit CI, NRHS Stage 1 TS heads dual plugged, NRHS Hurricane Air Filter, SE 536 cams, Rich Products Thunder header, 42 Mikuni, Daytona Twin Tec ignition w/ Dyna coils. 97.4 HP, 85.5 Torque 1984 XR-1000 S&S Crank/rods w/windage tray, Vision Grinding Cylinders, Arias 11:1 compression pistons, Andrews XR-1000-1 cams, Baisley modified dual plugged heads, Rich Products Thunder header, 38mm Delortos, Daytona Twin Tec ignition w/ Dyna coils. (the never ending project but, got a 66 Barracuda drag car sucking up all the funds and time)
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th February 2012
Drag Race Champion

German61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Dont mind me asking but how much for the cam set?
a.f.a.i.r. around 500,-
You can ask Black Widow Cams, these cams should be still available...
Old 5th February 2012
Custom Bike Builder

chevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by German61xlch View Post
a.f.a.i.r. around 500,-
You can ask Black Widow Cams, these cams should be still available...
Did they give you the specs and or graphing of the lobes over 720* on these?
Old 5th February 2012
Drag Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Did they give you the specs and or graphing of the lobes over 720* on these?
No, I just try it. Seems to be a guy with lots of experience and selling these cams for years. As he told me these should be better than the original HD-E-cams.
Old 9th February 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Quote:
No, I just try it. Seems to be a guy with lots of experience and selling these cams for years. As he told me these should be better than the original HD-E-cams.
I have been trying to get him to let me know the specs of these "E" cams
What are the HD specs and at what lift are they taken?.
All he said was they are HD Specs w/ a broader nose radius?
Have you done the head work to make these fit?
Do you know what to set the TDC clearance to?
Old 4th February 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XB12R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
matsoberg is a glorious beacon of lightmatsoberg is a glorious beacon of lightmatsoberg is a glorious beacon of lightmatsoberg is a glorious beacon of lightmatsoberg is a glorious beacon of lightmatsoberg is a glorious beacon of lightmatsoberg is a glorious beacon of lightmatsoberg is a glorious beacon of lightmatsoberg is a glorious beacon of lightmatsoberg is a glorious beacon of lightmatsoberg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Besides that I did install a XLCR shifting unit, in order to mount the shift lever backwards and stay with the original shifting order.

That is something I have overlooked, making all kinds of stupid linkages for rearsets in the past... You have a source for that unit? Harley OEM?