The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (61), pbudrovic (59), gene04 (57), guvnor (50), jrogers329 (44), ksoggs (39), dmurphy68 (37)
Figure Machine
Lickscycles
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki VL 1500 LC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
alim is on a distinguished roadalim is on a distinguished roadalim is on a distinguished roadalim is on a distinguished road
Question Need an advice (bottom mount headlight)

Hi everyone!
I am slowly rebuilding my sportster and got a few problems.
first - bottom mount headlight. At first I just wanted to use stock headlight case, but I don't see a way to fix it to lower triple tree steady and simple.
second - solo seat. I like that hardass slim seats on springs and want to make one, but I never did such things before - maybe someone have some scetches or drawings of their DIY seat and mount? ebay ones is looking great, still I prefer to make stuff like that by myself (at least it is a good way to get some expirience).

and last one thing - Harley rear turn signals to stop/running lights conversion kit - did anyone used it? is it worth it?

thanks and sorry for my poor english.
Old 22nd February 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
smoothbeats is on a distinguished roadsmoothbeats is on a distinguished roadsmoothbeats is on a distinguished road

i believe with the stock headlight you can remove the brow and post it upside down onto the triple tree, i have not done so, as i have been looking into it myself.

the seat pan be scored off ebay, then you can build around that. i personally like rich phillips and his line of spring seats, so i went that route.

i dont use those turn signals, i have the small bullet and they are not running lights only turn signals.
Old 22nd February 2012
Biker

alim is on a distinguished roadalim is on a distinguished roadalim is on a distinguished roadalim is on a distinguished road

Thanks for advice! Yeah, I am planning to just turn the headlight upside down, still I haven't foud a good way to install it - triple tree have too curved profile to simply drill it, and I am afraid to lower it strengh by doing so.
Old 22nd February 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
smoothbeats is on a distinguished roadsmoothbeats is on a distinguished roadsmoothbeats is on a distinguished road

apparently my friend drilling a hole in the bottom triple tree is a common practice from what i gathered here. Many people will agree that drilling a hole will not compromise the strength of the lower triple tree. i have seen many mounts on various catalogues but you still need that hole in the lower tree.

anyone chime in and correct me if im wrong.

i read that drilling a hole with a slight angle will stabilize the mount and point the headlight straight, again i could be sadly mistaken.
Old 23rd February 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200L
rodhotter has disabled reputation

you can get a nice cheap chrome headlight made to bottom mount, looks nicer IMHO
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alim View Post
and last one thing - Harley rear turn signals to stop/running lights conversion kit - did anyone used it? is it worth it?
A lot of people on here are using the brake/turn/running light module sold by Harley. For $60 it is probably one of their best bargains. However....if you ever plan on going to LEDs on the bike I would recommend getting a unit that is built to handle the LEDs like the Badlands III unit.

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 14th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 88
exeron is an unknown quantity at this point

hi alim,

i have the same problem with the bottom mount headlight at the moment. can you report about your solution? (if you have found one)

burn-y
Old 18th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonny till stolen
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
Dragon Hostler is an unknown quantity at this point

There are headlight brackets for bottom mount headlights available in the BIG parts catalogs.
You'll need to measure the distance between the cinch bolts on the lower tree in order to select the right bracket.
You may need longer cinch bolts to mount the bracket too.

I want to put on a larger headlight, probably a 7" in a fat steel housing, and it's highly unlikely it would tuck in under the original eyebrow, so I'm sniffing around the same issues.
Old 26th June 2012
Biker

Hi, everyone! sorry, I was away from computer for some time

well, there is my first solution:

all measures in mm.
it's a bit complicated, I just wanted to make it looks nicer and smoother, like no sharp angles. I also wanted to hide headlight screw and nut. for the beginning I made a simple bended plate with holes to check sizes, then I was planning to made this mount. Still there is one problem - such installation makes all wiring coming from the bars visible (for now its hidden behind stock headlight brow).
now I am thinking about making new triple trees and risers to hide the wiring and make headlight installation easier. My goal is to get simple and clean look.