The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
RYCA Motors
DK Customs
NRHS Performance Long 2
Foxcreek Leather

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: triumph bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
tigercub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default seat fitment for 1986 1100,

i have an 1986 1100 sportster with a stock seat, the stock seat is about 4" high and i have short legs.would like to get a shorter seat,i'd like to get a used one and was wondering if seats from different year sportsters will fit this bike.anybody have any experence making this switch.
Old 11th April 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Davidson FLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
JacksBrother is on a distinguished roadJacksBrother is on a distinguished roadJacksBrother is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercub View Post
i have an 1986 1100 sportster with a stock seat, the stock seat is about 4" high and i have short legs.would like to get a shorter seat,i'd like to get a used one and was wondering if seats from different year sportsters will fit this bike.anybody have any experence making this switch.
I have a "melted" cobra-style seat off my '98 1200 Sportster. Its good quality seat, about 1-1/2"-2" thick, nicely leather covered. As for mounting, it has a "tounge" that comes down in front of the front point of the seat and slips under a steel strap on the frame right behind the tank. At the rear of the seat, a tab bolts to the fender. If the mounting sounds right, I'd make you a good deal on it-- I'm running a solo seat instead. I can take a pic if you like, PM me if you're interested.
Thanks,
Joe
Corbin-Gentry 1957 XLCH replica solo seat
HD forward controls, 11-1/2" Progressive rear shocks
Manual petcock that doesn't suck
"An armed society is a polite society." Robert Heinlein
Old 11th April 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: Rupp Roadster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
tmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to all

Seat thru 2000 for sure.

Looking a eBay, (2200 "sportster seat" hits), the pictures of the 00-03 seats looks like they would fit our 1100's.

You may also want to try the brackets that go on the shock lower mounts that lower the bike an inch.
1986 XLH 1100 (fixer-upper) // Engineers design things, Technicians make them work. --- 30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck .
Old 12th April 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Timmy99 has a spectacular aura aboutTimmy99 has a spectacular aura aboutTimmy99 has a spectacular aura aboutTimmy99 has a spectacular aura aboutTimmy99 has a spectacular aura aboutTimmy99 has a spectacular aura aboutTimmy99 has a spectacular aura aboutTimmy99 has a spectacular aura aboutTimmy99 has a spectacular aura about

82-03 should work