The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (61), pbudrovic (59), gene04 (57), guvnor (50), jrogers329 (44), ksoggs (39), dmurphy68 (37)
Superbrace
Biltwell
Motor Stage
Speedway Instruments

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200n
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
raoulduke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tucking wiring etc....advice needed

Hello everyone.

I'm new here but I've been lurking the crap out of this forum for a while now I've read literally hundreds of threads and hate asking old questions. So I'll keep this specific to my issue.

I got my 07 nightster a few weeks ago.

I decided to do 12 mini apes, coil and ignition and a tank lift/wire tuck. Last night I internally wired the apes and reconnected the molex connectors. It was a chore to say the least, but I got it done. Problem is those connectors aren't long enough to reach the wiring harness on the frame.... Now my question is, when I do the coil relocation and "wire tuck" under my tank lift today, will I make any more length on the harness on the frame? I did the brake cable and everything else works fine, I just can't plug my hand controls in

Should I extend from the wiring harness on the frame and reuse the connector? (I'd really like to keep them since they making switching out so easy in the future. I have room to hide them under my tank lift (I would assume anyway)

If I'm just screwed and I need to extend the harness I guess I could cut the connectors off the harness and extend the lines.... That means soldering on the bike and that's gonna take forever if I'm careful.

I'll move the coil and ignition tonight after work but until I figure out how to plug in my hand controls...I'm stuck... Should I wait a day and order some kind of kit? If there is not new connector and I just have to splice, I'll do that myself. I should have just measured first and extended the control wires... I saw so many of you who got away with just a brake cable on the 12 inch mini apes, I figured I was good.

for any of you who didn't extend wiring when doing 12 inch HD mini's (internal wired)

Please shed some light. I'd love to not have to make 28 solder connections if I don't have to.
Old 11th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200n Nightster
Nightstermadness has a spectacular aura aboutNightstermadness has a spectacular aura aboutNightstermadness has a spectacular aura aboutNightstermadness has a spectacular aura aboutNightstermadness has a spectacular aura aboutNightstermadness has a spectacular aura aboutNightstermadness has a spectacular aura aboutNightstermadness has a spectacular aura aboutNightstermadness has a spectacular aura aboutNightstermadness has a spectacular aura about

i did a coil relocation and wire tuck but i have the stock bars. the connectors are moved onto the top of the back bone which might give you a little bit more length but worse case you will just have to extend the lines.
Old 11th April 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200x
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2013
Other Motorcycle Model: 2011 electriglide classic
Other Motorcycle Year: sold
hlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to all

i did a 12 inch z bar on my '48 and had to go longer wires.
namz makes a kit, so you undo one conector and the splice justs plugs in. good luck.http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.c..._96_to_06.html
Old 11th April 2012
Biker

Thank you guys so much.

Hill Country Customs has a kit here that's the same and I can get it today. 45 minute drive each way.....

but whatever.

bitchwillbreatherfireagaintonight.jpeg :-)
Old 11th April 2012
Biker

got my adapter kit. I'm payin the stupid tax for sitting around last night spending over an hour getting the connectors back on correctly..... Just to have to pull them again.

I should be good in the a.m.
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th April 2012
Harley Engineer

hlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to allhlgsn is a name known to all

have a beer and smile. hope all goes well. you are so lucky to have parts
close. nearest stealer is 3 hours away for me. and anything cool is 5 hours or
the internet....
Old 11th April 2012
Harley Engineer

we like pic's
Old 11th April 2012
Biker

Oh i know you guys love the pics :-) What forum doesn't?

Honestly I've had the bike a week and wanted to get ALL my changes done and then it needs a real detail. It's filthy now.

This weekend if the weather holds. I'll put up tons of pics ;-)
Old 12th April 2012
Biker

pics coming....

So i got it all done. Got the extensions, got the connectors back on and all was well on the test ride.

Until this a.m.

my right blinkers no longer work

They worked fine last night, and not now. Running lights are fine (they stay on) and brake lights are fine, but when i hit the turn signal nothing happens.

I will say that when the little "alarm" thing goes off they all blink bright. This leads me to believe it's not a fuse, and something is -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!-ed.

I guess I'll pull the tank first and check the connector and wires. If it's not shorted there I guess it could be up in the control. Good news is all the extensions are accessible, but I tested everything after the shrink wrap....

Shit.

I was so close to havin it all did in 2 days.

Any suggestions of where to start?
Old 12th April 2012
Harley Engineer

oh man, i hate wires. i like parts that move and you can see if they
are broken. do a fuse check anyway. always start simple... then work your
way up the line. if you can figure out whitch is left and right, you might try
swaping the wire for the left onto the right switch. this will confirm your switch
is or is not the problem. sounds like both? front and rear blinkers are out..... so i would bet you maybe pulled a wire from the switch when you reassembled??? breath deep and have more beer.
Know Thy Hog