The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
Gennyred (64), Spatialanomaly (60), ColinB (54), HD1000XL (49), tub531
NRHS Performance Long 2
Biltwell
Fix My Hog
DK Customs

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1212c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883 (TOTALLED)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
jumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of light
Default Top Dead Center

Stupid question here, how do you find top dead center when both cylinders, pistons, and heads are off? Can I take cam cover off and just line the marks up? And if so, how do I keep the cams from coming out with the cover? My dad had a brilliant idea to roll motor over after I pulled everything off yesterday while trying to do my 1212 conversion on my '06 883.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
Old 16th April 2012
Ride free, RubyRed

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 > SE 1200
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
wandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant future

Bad dad! No doughnut!

The project bike:
1999 1200 XLH--Currently on indefinite hold... Custom Led Sled frame--4" up, 2" out; Baker/Vulcan chain conversion; Buell 17" rear wheel...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=708796
Old 16th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL converted to 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsteady View Post
Stupid question here, how do you find top dead center when both cylinders, pistons, and heads are off? Can I take cam cover off and just line the marks up? And if so, how do I keep the cams from coming out with the cover? My dad had a brilliant idea to roll motor over after I pulled everything off yesterday while trying to do my 1212 conversion on my '06 883.

I assume you are trying to find TDC for the compression stroke? If so, just watch the intake lifter for the cylinder you are trying to set at TDC compression. When the intake lifter starts dropping down, the intake valve would be closing and the piston will be coming up on the compression stroke. When the rod is as high as it will go, you are there. I don't think that when the marks on the cams are lined up it means that you are at TDC, so pulling the cam cover off probably won't help any. Roger
Old 16th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

94 Sporty has it right, but I can't think why you'd want to find TDC when your barrels and pistons are off.
If you're fitting cams, the motor is not at TDC on either cylinder when aligning the cams -just line up the marks on the pinion gear and cams.
Old 16th April 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1212c
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883 (TOTALLED)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
jumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelworker View Post
94 Sporty has it right, but I can't think why you'd want to find TDC when your barrels and pistons are off.
If you're fitting cams, the motor is not at TDC on either cylinder when aligning the cams -just line up the marks on the pinion gear and cams.
Well then that solves that. I guess that I thought the front cylinder was at TDC when the marks on the cams lined up. This makes me feel a lot better. Thanks guys.

Know Thy Hog