The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Licks Tanklift  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Superbrace.com
Figure Machine
Burly
Zippers Performance

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

cajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished road
Default Hesitation at 3000

Recently, I posted on here that i had thought one cylinder was cutting out when the rpm's hit 3000 in fourth gear. It felt as if perhaps it was running on one lung and with a squirt of fuel and the revs coming up even 100 more rpm, the problem stopped. I have since determined that it is not a cylinder dropping off but perhaps a jetting issue.

I can replicate the hesitation every time. Holding at 3k, it will drop down a little and or buck just enough for me to notice it. It is not there at any other rpm. Now, going back to the last time i did anything to the bike, was that i had put a Yost 1 inch spacer and emulcifier in the carb but really never paid much attention nor did i do a whole lot of rideing after that and when i did, it was more short blast around town, where i would rarely stay constant at 3k. The bikes runs at 50 mph/80 kph at 3000, but usually im above that or below. Pondering this whole issue, i realized I had not re jetted the carb since adding the Yost parts and am wondering if that is the issue.

I am currently running a .068 main and .028 intermediate jet and perhaps I am thinking this combo is not right in fact I suspect they are on the large size for this motor. I cant remember what the jets that were in it new, but it did come with others and I have changed them around. The motor is a 65-900 bored .040 over. large valves and pb+ cams. It is not easy for me to just change the jets since i must remove the carb because there is not enough room to just drop the bowl given the Mallory "distributor" is there. Im not running drag pipes but baffled, stagard one peice fishtails

What do you guys think, too big on the main and or intermediate for the issue im haveing?

randy
Old 21st April 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Chopped XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Boom-Boom has disabled reputation

I remember your previous thread and you got some good advice there. You probably already know that the intermediate jet controls fuel flow below 3000 rpm. A lot of people, myself included, have noticed improvements with a .0295 intermediate jet. A .068 main seems a bit high, but each bike is a little bit different and it doesn't seem that what you are describing has anything to do with higher rpm. I'd still try a .066 with a .0295 intermediate and see how the transfer feels. I'm willing to bet it will smooth right out. You had stated that your plugs were white, they should be light brown. So, sounds a tad lean. Jets are cheap, so get a few for each end and play a little. Also, do yourself a favor and switch those plugs to Autolite 85. They are fantastic.
Old 22nd April 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Drag pipes? Reversion issues?
Old 22nd April 2012

cajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished road

boom boom, thanks, i will do just that.

randy
Old 22nd April 2012

Hopper, no i dont have drags, fishtails, fully baffled. They are a balanced set. No reversion in these.

randy

Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd April 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

i,agree with boom boom,it sounds lean.i,would up the intermediate first,before i,went down with the main.[did you ever change your fuel line routing,away from the front cylinder head?]
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 22nd April 2012

I just looked at the jets i have and i was mistaken. I do have the .0295 intermediate jet in because the .028 is in the drawer with the other two mains i have. So what i have in there is the .0295 and the .068 main. Will have to rethink this now unless i drop the main down. It appears that i have the larger of both in there so for a 900 maybe they are both too big. Im told these Super Es will run with factory jets on much larger displacement bikes. As far as the routing of the fuel line, no it is still forward and about two to three inches away from the front cylinder head forward of it slightly so it actually gets the wind before the head does.

The bike most definately appears and feels to be stumbling and or starving for fuel exactly at 3k. I will richen up the carb a bit too to see if that helps.

randy
Old 22nd April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
ultra...good has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun1957a View Post
Im told these Super Es will run with factory jets on much larger displacement bikes.

randy
A Super E on a 900? That is way too big of a carb for a 900. A G is pushing it. Are you sure it is an E?

EDIT; DISREGARD THE ABOVE INFORMATION.

Last edited by ultra...good; 22nd April 2012 at 17:14.. Reason: I am wrong
Old 22nd April 2012

Ive been running a super E for four years without any issues untill now and it think its something minor.
Old 22nd April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Trac Dynamics / Razor,
tracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the rough

The intermidiate is the issue and the 68 is ok with yost power tube, you can usually bump up with that tube, Play with one thing at a time not both because you won't know what worked. Use the one Boom Boom suggested and leave the 68 alone. Then put some miles on. going down on jet with power tube is backwards.
Know Thy Hog