The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Lowbrow Customs
Foxcreek Leather
Superbrace
S&S Cycle

Fix My Hog
Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27th June 2012
theoneandonlybrooks theoneandonlybrooks is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Bombardier DS650
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Reputation: 10
theoneandonlybrooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 07 Nightster Fuel Pump

I've searched on here and found some stuff, but not quite the info I need.
I have an 07 Nightster, just bought a couple months ago, less than 4k miles when I bought it, now about 5k. Starting a week or two ago, when the fuel pump cycles at key on, it would squeal very loud, sometimes all through the cycle, sometimes just the beginning, sometimes at the end. Then one day when I went to leave work, I turn the key on, and the pump cycle sounded really quiet. Bike would fire twice then die. Did this several times, then finally on one of the pump cycles, it sounded normal, and started and ran. I rode it home, everything was fine, but since then, it's back to the quiet cycle, and 2 fires and die. So I think the fuel pump is out, but not 100% confident.
I've searched and read that the fuel pump is a common failure for my year. I have the A-model pump, and I have removed the complete assembly. But I'm wondering if I should replace just the pump, or the whole assembly, or if it's something different.
Also, I did check the relays, replaced the headlight and fuel pump relays, headlight still works fine, fuel pump acts the same.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27th June 2012
erbie07nightster's Avatar
erbie07nightster erbie07nightster is offline
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Omahoo
Posts: 713
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N Org/Blk
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Reputation: 74666
erbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud of
Default

Here is the Tech Tip that was released by HD. This route that might save you buying an entire new pump.

TT328 – August 9, 2007 – 2007 XL Fuel Pressure
2007 XL Pressure Regulator / Low Fuel Pressure
With the help of the dealer network we were able to isolate some recent no start and poor drive quality complaints caused by inadequate fuel pressure. On some ’07 Sportster models the fuel pressure has been recorded well below the service
requirement of 55-62 PSI. This finding lead us to the conclusion the pressure was bleeding down past the large pressure regulator o-ring.

In order to ensure proper positioning and minimize movement of the o-ring a new service kit has been introduced. Use labor code 7164 and order part number 61005-07, which consists of a “Castle” Washer, Filter Screen, 1 Small and 1 Large O-Ring and is
intended for use on 75268-07/A/B Sportster fuel pumps. The “castle” spacer is installed with the openings pointing downward to prevent fuel flow restriction and should be only added to 75268-07B or earlier XL fuel pumps. Inspection processes were put in place prior to 2008 model launch, and in late August of 2007 XL production will be making a running change to a 75268-07C fuel pump. These fuel pumps will not require the “castle” spacer. The original regulator service kit (p/n 61015-04A) will remain available for situations requiring regulator replacement, service of a 75268-07C fuel pump or service of an already upgraded -07B and earlier pump.
__________________
Erbie
2007 Nightster Orange Pearl/Black
Nothing too special. Willie G Skull accents, V&H Slip-ons w/ "Quiet" baffles, Hammer Impact A/C, FuelPak, flipped mirrors, adjustable road pegs, LePera Barebones.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27th June 2012
theoneandonlybrooks theoneandonlybrooks is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Bombardier DS650
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Reputation: 10
theoneandonlybrooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbie07nightster View Post
Here is the Tech Tip that was released by HD. This route that might save you buying an entire new pump.

TT328 – August 9, 2007 – 2007 XL Fuel Pressure
2007 XL Pressure Regulator / Low Fuel Pressure
With the help of the dealer network we were able to isolate some recent no start and poor drive quality complaints caused by inadequate fuel pressure. On some ’07 Sportster models the fuel pressure has been recorded well below the service
requirement of 55-62 PSI. This finding lead us to the conclusion the pressure was bleeding down past the large pressure regulator o-ring.

In order to ensure proper positioning and minimize movement of the o-ring a new service kit has been introduced. Use labor code 7164 and order part number 61005-07, which consists of a “Castle” Washer, Filter Screen, 1 Small and 1 Large O-Ring and is
intended for use on 75268-07/A/B Sportster fuel pumps. The “castle” spacer is installed with the openings pointing downward to prevent fuel flow restriction and should be only added to 75268-07B or earlier XL fuel pumps. Inspection processes were put in place prior to 2008 model launch, and in late August of 2007 XL production will be making a running change to a 75268-07C fuel pump. These fuel pumps will not require the “castle” spacer. The original regulator service kit (p/n 61015-04A) will remain available for situations requiring regulator replacement, service of a 75268-07C fuel pump or service of an already upgraded -07B and earlier pump.
Would that have caused the sound changes?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27th June 2012
erbie07nightster's Avatar
erbie07nightster erbie07nightster is offline
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Omahoo
Posts: 713
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N Org/Blk
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Reputation: 74666
erbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud of
Default

I would think it's possible. I have no problems with my pump, and it sounds different just about every time I fire it up. I notice it makes different noises if it's sat for a little longer than the last time. Or if it's a little different depending on the temperature outside, too. I'd say if you can get it to somewhere that you can have the fuel pump pressure checked and go from there.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27th June 2012
Screw Loose Dan's Avatar
Screw Loose Dan Screw Loose Dan is offline
I think I like Sportsters
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Collegeville, PA
Posts: 5,991
Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Reputation: 630054
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I've actually heard of very few pumps actually go bad. The first year, there was problems with the pressure regulator (what the tech tip refers to), but other then that very few completely bad pumps (although initially before Harley came out with the actual tech tip, some dealers replaced the entire pump).

And yeah, the sound is a bit different from time to time. A squeal is not uncommon if it's sat for a while.

Since it sounds like you have the pump out, see the entire tech tip here and see if it has the "castle" washer or not. But, I would think it's a lot more likely that your relay is bad or some other bad electrical connection is causing issues.
__________________
Screw Loose Dan

Reply With Quote
Know Thy Hog

  #6  
Old 27th June 2012
theoneandonlybrooks theoneandonlybrooks is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Bombardier DS650
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Reputation: 10
theoneandonlybrooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan View Post
I've actually heard of very few pumps actually go bad. The first year, there was problems with the pressure regulator (what the tech tip refers to), but other then that very few completely bad pumps (although initially before Harley came out with the actual tech tip, some dealers replaced the entire pump).

And yeah, the sound is a bit different from time to time. A squeal is not uncommon if it's sat for a while.

Since it sounds like you have the pump out, see the entire tech tip here and see if it has the "castle" washer or not. But, I would think it's a lot more likely that your relay is bad or some other bad electrical connection is causing issues.
When I bought it, it had likely been sitting for awhile, but it was my daily driver for a few weeks before the squeal. In fact the first time I noticed the squeal was on a ride from Springfield, Il, to Paducah, Ky. Rode down Saturday, when I turned the key on in my the hotel parking lot on Sunday, it squealed for the first time. So I'm very glad it at least made it home.
I don't want to take the whole bike to the dealership, because they said it would likely be 1-3 hours diagnosis and labor, which is closing in on the price of a pump itself.
It never had any issues when running.
The sound of the pump(how loud during key on cycle) seems clearly linked to the problem. Because it was always the same volume(sometimes including squeal) and would start, now that it's quiet, it's clearly not getting the fuel to run. So I'm wondering how the castle nut seal deal would cause the pump to be quieter.
And as far as the relays, like I said, I swapped the headlight and fuel pump relays, no change to either circuit.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27th June 2012
ProbablyBob's Avatar
ProbablyBob ProbablyBob is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Reputation: 10
ProbablyBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

The fuel pump in my '07 1200C started making this whining sound about 3 weeks ago though it only does it when it's hot outside. My early morning commutes and evening rides are fine. I know it has something to do with pressurization.

Some others have posted on another forum that they're experiencing the same thing. They say if they fuel up, the whining goes away. They also say that maybe the internal hose has a hole in it from rubbing the inside of the tank. Anyone heard of that?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27th June 2012
theoneandonlybrooks theoneandonlybrooks is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Bombardier DS650
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Reputation: 10
theoneandonlybrooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProbablyBob View Post
The fuel pump in my '07 1200C started making this whining sound about 3 weeks ago though it only does it when it's hot outside. My early morning commutes and evening rides are fine. I know it has something to do with pressurization.

Some others have posted on another forum that they're experiencing the same thing. They say if they fuel up, the whining goes away. They also say that maybe the internal hose has a hole in it from rubbing the inside of the tank. Anyone heard of that?
I've never heard the whining when the bike was running, only when it primes at key on. It's possible it was happening and I just didn't hear it. But I deally doubt it because the whine is really loud.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 27th June 2012
ProbablyBob's Avatar
ProbablyBob ProbablyBob is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Reputation: 10
ProbablyBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlybrooks View Post
I've never heard the whining when the bike was running, only when it primes at key on. It's possible it was happening and I just didn't hear it. But I deally doubt it because the whine is really loud.
I hear it faintly at highway speeds and it becomes more evident when I'm slowing down for a stop or going through town.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27th June 2012
theoneandonlybrooks theoneandonlybrooks is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Bombardier DS650
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Reputation: 10
theoneandonlybrooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProbablyBob View Post
I hear it faintly at highway speeds and it becomes more evident when I'm slowing down for a stop or going through town.
Well either way, I've git no squealing now, just my pump cycling very quietly at key on, and my bike not running. So the squealing may or may not have been related. I'm more concerned with getting the bike to run again.
Reply With Quote
Know Thy Hog

Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Custom Search

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
XL Forum - Linson Media LLC