The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > REGIONAL FORUMS > Australia - The Land of OZ
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Australia - The Land of OZ
Here is where you can post about anything in Australia. Events, Where to eat, Where to get help, Dealers, Indys, etc....

Members Birthdays
Durockrolly (56), xlch1973 (52), ehenry (50), 100thHugger (49), evobrian (47), jethrosurfs (42), Chris B. (38), Ebmomma (38)
Biltwell
Motor Stage
Superbrace.com
NRHS

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Roger Greendeck has disabled reputation
Default Getting Parts in Oz

Having only recently purchased my bike I have only just started looking for all the extras for it. Already I have noticed that there is a massive disparity in prices from some dealers compared to buying direct from the US. I will put down what I have found so far and would love to hear from other Aussies about their experiences. Also for our overseas bretheren if you know of good dealers who sell over the internet let us know.

Customs
I have spoken to Customs and they tell me that there is no import duty on motorcycle parts. GST is payable. It is based on the total value of the goods and the shipping cost. The threshold for when GST is payable depends on how you ship. The combination in the different shipping costs and GST means that there is significant differences in the out of pocket expenses depending on what shipping method you use.

Shipping
The cheapest form of getting stuff here seems to be the US Postal Service Their website has a rates calculator which will help you work out cost. As mentioned above the GST threshold is different depending on the shipping method used. The best deal is post which cuts in a AUD500. So if you can live with the extra time your parts take to go economy surface you can save quite a bit.

Dealers
So far I have found three places of significant interest.
H&M
M&M Cycles
JP Cycles

The H&M website is particularly useful as you can enter the part number and it will give you the price. Makes it handy when dreams need to meet financial reality!

By way of comparison I have purchased the solo rack and mounting hardware for the '04 Sporty for AUD230 (including shipping) and a local dealer quoted me AUD418!

M&M Cycles seem to be cheaper though. I have ordered some stuff from both H&M and M&M (sounds like a couple of rappers ) but have not received it yet so I can't comment on the speed of their service yet.

ebay
Finally there is good old ebay. There is a Harley section in the Australian site and there is shed loads more in the US site. Not all stuff is the same as that used on the Australian bikes (sprokets being an example) but most is. Many sellers will also ship to Australia if asked even if their add only specifies shipping to the US.

I know that is loads to take in but I hope some finds it helpful. Look forward to hearing other people's experiences.
Old 22nd January 2005
mostly harmless.. (sssm)

gronk62 has disabled reputation

G'day Roger.
I live down south in Victoria and have purchased a few things from USA.
The first cuppla times I shopped at Chicago HD and was not real happy with their service both times so the last cuppla times I've shopped at H&M HD and so far I'm really happy with their service.

My last package got delayed for about a week by Australia post (the delivery bloke couldn't figure out the post (zip) code ) but it finally arrived a few days ago.

I can't believe how cheap stuff is in the USA!
I think us aussie's are gettin well and truly screwed by our local dealerships. eg. $660 for SE II mufflers, $288 SE air cleaner kit.
Old 22nd January 2005
Know It All

I have a feeling it is not the dealerships but the importers. As I understand it HD are not the importers at the moment but another company acting as a middle man. I remember many years ago (well before the internet) Maglites were quite expensive. Then another importer started bringing them in and the price halved overnight.
Old 22nd January 2005
mostly harmless.. (sssm)

Down here the importer IS the dealership and they have a monopoly on Victoria.
Another problem with gettin stuff locally is if they ain't got it in stock and hafta order it, it takes 4 to 6 weeks before ya get ya stuff.

If ya order it from H&M HD (or where ever) it only takes about 2 weeks..which is good coz I'm impatient
Old 22nd January 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: from 64-2004 all kinds
GRAYFEATHER is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Roger I live in Hervey bay QLD and find that the dealers charge like wounded bull and thay take there time in getting parts.
You have a good idea will help out heaps.

Grayfeather

Old 22nd January 2005
Chief Harley Engineer

cobra0478 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gronk,
Glad to see you back,hope things are where you can come around more often.

I have noticed the complaints you guys have concerning prices for parts in your country,and had wondered if maby it could be set up so someone from here could take a shopping list from one,or several of you guys,go out and buy the parts for you and ship directly to you.Maby save you some money???
I have no idea of the legal side or the tax dues,I further don't know about the shipping fees.
Would it be possible to do something like this without any federal legal issues?
Could you save any money on your parts?
If there was a way to do it and save money,how could it be done without the risk of anyone being ripped off?
Either of you guys have any thoughts on this?
Don
Old 22nd January 2005
Know It All

In the past I have had some items that I was after shipped to a mate in the US and then he posted them to me. The main reason for the double handling was that the company I was dealing with would not ship internationally but I really wanted that product.

From my experiences so far dealers in the US are happy to ship to Australia. The main thing is finding the goods at the right price. If you have any suggestions of dealers with low prices with catalouge type internet sites we will be very interested.
Old 23rd January 2005
mostly harmless.. (sssm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra0478
Gronk,
Glad to see you back,hope things are where you can come around more often.

Don
G'day Don.
I get the chance to sneak in here now and then and enjoy catchin up a little on whats goin on in the world of Sporties.

Thanx for your kind offer with parts and accessories matey. Since I found a few shops in USA that will ship to Australia it's meant HUGE savings over what we would normally pay at the dealerships here..even with exchange rates and international shipping costs factored in.

You blokes don't realise how lucky ya's are to live in a country where stuff is so cheap!

I paid $12500 out the door for my 04 883 standard and the roadster model over here is about $16000 (?) so ya can see why I'm a little envious
Old 22nd January 2005
Chief Harley Engineer

cobra0478 is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me look around some and see what I can find.
I am sure that others will be glad to help out as well.
I don't usually do cataloug buying,I usually want the part now,and want to see it first,so I buy most of my stuff from the dealer,with an occasional purchase from ebay.
Don
Old 23rd January 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura about

G'day Roger

I've imported some stuff myself and there IS import duty on most parts....

If, however you do it as a private citizen then ya can get around it most times...