The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion > Off-Topic Archive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Off-Topic Archive This is where old posts that are worthy of saving are held. Many Off-Topic posts will be deleted but the best will be kept here.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Dead Creek Cycles
Motor Stage
RYCA Motors
Biltwell

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice
Talking Coffee Cup Lid Mod for Higher Flow (pics) - The Hajer Mod

I can't work on the bike without coffee (well I can, but I dislike it.) However, I find a lot of inconsistency between vent holes in the most common coffee cup lids found in independent coffee shops. Shown here is a Sweetheart LGX12R lid. I have found the vent holes in these lids to range in size from .005" to .018" with a lot of plastic flash in some cases. The variation in vent hole size means inconsistent flow of coffee.

I often modify the vent hole so the restriction does not affect the flow of coffee. Please note: this modification is not EPA approved. Any tampering may void your warranty. Today I used an old razor blade, but you might be able to use a pen or screwdriver too.

I make a slice in the lid of approximately .040" on the 20 ounce cup. You may need a smaller slice for a smaller cup of coffee. I don't know since I always get the 20 ounce. Making the slice larger does not seem to increase flow any more than the .040" slice. YMMV.

This is a computer enhanced drawing of the slice, since it did not show up in the original photo. The slice does not separate the plastic of the lid that much, so it's hard to capture on film.

Old 14th July 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

How improved is the airflow at .040? Do you find it adequate?
Old 14th July 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sporster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
saltman241 is on a distinguished roadsaltman241 is on a distinguished road

Is there any danger of blow back through the inlarged intake?

Last edited by saltman241; 14th July 2006 at 08:06..
Old 14th July 2006

chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman241
Is there any danger of blow back through the inlarged intake?
I haven't gotten any reversion thus far.

--Chris
Old 14th July 2006
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Vegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to all

I usually run mine with the lid completely off. You have to becareful in the rain and the coffee does tend to run cooler faster but it optimizes flow if you don't mind a little dirt.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Picture123.jpg
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th July 2006
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 CUSTOM
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
TOMGRUNT will become famous soon enoughTOMGRUNT will become famous soon enoughTOMGRUNT will become famous soon enoughTOMGRUNT will become famous soon enoughTOMGRUNT will become famous soon enoughTOMGRUNT will become famous soon enoughTOMGRUNT will become famous soon enough
Post Sips/Time:

Seems to be the key issue.

The displacement rate, (being variable) obviously affects the clearance volume and it's effect on volumetric efficiency.

That being said, viscosity due to sugar, cream vs milk etc., MUST be fully considered.

My consultant (Juan Valdez) concurs and is standing by for further assistance as needed.

S/F
T.G.
Old 14th July 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofnaman1995
How improved is the airflow at .040? Do you find it adequate?
There is quite a bit more intake noise, but the airflow is sufficient. I might try experimenting at .035" to get the noise down a bit.

--Chris
Old 14th July 2006
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha YZF-R6
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Lynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura about

What *does* a coffee vent fart sound like?

< SE .551 cams / SuperTrapp 2-1 SuperMeg exhaust / Forcewinder XR2 airbox / Mikuni HSR42 carburetor / TC88A ignition / Progressive 13" shocks>
Old 14th July 2006

lagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the rough

this thread should be moved to paying taxes forum. i mean you did a rejet.
Old 14th July 2006
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
toe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud of

Ok, the coffee is going in better........

What are you doing about getting it out???????

The Only Y2K dual-set 883C
So Cal
Know Thy Hog