The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Progressive Suspension
NRHS Performance Long 2
Get Lowered
Lowbrow Customs

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XV750
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
NewAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default my rigid frame has my ironhead off-center & off-balance

i guess i should just reiterate that i'm new here and certainly new to these old ironheads. something about this machine has got me fixed with a vision for my project.

i have a custom built paughco rigid frame. wide tire, 38 degree, 2.5" Backbone stretch, 0" dowtube stretch, and a 4" stretch out back to practically drop this thing to the ground.

the rear motor mount lined up fine, but when i got to the lower front mounts, i found a problem. the original long ironhead mounts can't be used with this frame. it has tabs to use the later style mounts, also found on the evo. not problem with the length of these, the holes match up fine. the problem can be seen in the pics below. the engine seems to be offset about 1/2" to the left and looks very off-center in the frame.

if you look closely at the L/H motor mount in these shots, it sticks out about 1/2" to the left from the mounting tabs, and the same goes for the R/H mount too.

does anyone have good shots of their ironhead mounts in an aftermarket frame to look at?

is there another rear motor mount that i can use to recenter this thing or has anyone seen this before?? once i have this figured out i will be ready to finish my overhaul of the engine.

thanks in advance everyone!!

- and IronMick, if you think this is in the wrong section please let me know, or move it. thanks!

-Andrew

Barbie Called, She Wants Her Jeep Back...
Old 10th October 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
maverick is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude you got me, but welcome to the forum, and just keep tuning in I am sure there is someone on here that can help you as this is a very good place for information!
Old 10th October 2008
Biker

i don't know what's wrong with it?? blows my mind. the other thing is that those motor mounts are supposed to be on the inside of the mounting tabs according to paughco...
Old 10th October 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Hot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud of

If it's a custom built frame, I'd say someone f'd up the downtubes during the build... Have you called Paughco?
Godspeed brother.[/B]

[B]"I just love the 'mechanicalness' of it"[/B]
--Indian Larry Desmedt[/SIZE]
Old 10th October 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice

Favor the Rear Motor Mount First pulled up tight with the bolts in place, if that meets up clean with the Rear wheel then you need to make up the spacer 'Gap' on the front , if you notice an early Sportster frame it is offset,
a fairly easy job for a Machinist/Welder once the measurements are take,
Hey Dude Welcome to Customizing!
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th October 2008
Biker

hot rod sporty - i haven't called paughco yet. but probably should.

monte - i had the rear mount tight before i did the front. i'm going to line up the rear wheel and put the chain on it in the morning. according to paughco it is supposed to fit my 180 tire without using an offset sprocket. if it works i'll leave it, if it doesn't then it will have to be modified. thanks for the advice!
Old 11th October 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumphs
Other Motorcycle Year: 1964
Campsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum;

Monte03 is right, you have to have the rear snugged up first. Take some pics of the rear.. it also appears your mounts are not stock. I suspect that it is a tight fit and you haven't finessed it enough. Once you have the rear snugged up, study it. The first time I did a stock mount I didn't get it right and I remained miffed until I stepped back and went at it a little differently.

Is the engine offset to allow for the wheel? Very interesting.

Jim
Old 11th October 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Set up the rear first, like the others said. Then if it's not right, call Jason at Paughco and tell him what you have...

Welcome to the forum from Michigan!!!

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 11th October 2008
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Trail 70
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
miller has disabled reputation

Sportster motors don't sit square in the middle of the frame, and from the pics yours doesn't look too bad. I have read about several people having to make motor mounts for Paughco frames, and you might end up having to go that route.
Old 11th October 2008
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1981 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1982
54-FLE is on a distinguished road54-FLE is on a distinguished road54-FLE is on a distinguished road54-FLE is on a distinguished road

When I mounted my engine in my frame I had the same problem only worst. I had to cut out the back mounting plate all together and got a new one from the frame manufacture then bolted the new plate to the rear mount and then set it all in the frame until all was a perfect fit and then tack welded the plate, removed the engine and took it to a welder for tigging. I then had to cut spacers for the front to line up. Like already mentioned welcome to the world of bike building/fabrication, I don't remember too many things that actually just bolted up like its suppose to.
Know Thy Hog