The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing Here is where you can discuss various ways of customizing your Sportster motorcycle or Buell motorcycle.

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Energy One Clutches
Hammer Performance
Lickscycles

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finished my first seat top.

Well guys and gals. Here it is. I started this bugger Saturday night after a trip to the Tandy leather store to buy some materials($130) dyes, paints, oil, sealant, bevels, etc and went to work. I have enough dyes and paint to do probably 20 or 30 more. I spent 40 bucks on the leather and it is enough to do two seats. I bought a 2000 solow pillow off ebay and it will be done next. Gonna try and recoup some of the material costs. I am genuinely pleased with the outcome. I will probably make the sides of the seat red but black is always the other choice. I will probably do a less complicated design on the pillow seat that has a more universal theme. Here is a pic. for your critiqueing pleasure. It is going to really look good on my toxic green bike.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.

Last edited by rottenralph; 28th March 2005 at 16:12..
Old 28th March 2005
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 2001 883 Custom
Desertfox has disabled reputation

Looks mean as hell. Nice work.
Old 28th March 2005
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome job Ralph

Gazza
Old 28th March 2005
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: sporty
Sportster/Buell Year: 02
mailmanjohn has disabled reputation

holy seat tops batman...........looks good!

Last edited by mailmanjohn; 28th March 2005 at 16:02..
Old 28th March 2005
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: I wish
HotRodSporty is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats to critique?
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th March 2005
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: roadking classic
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
bud095 has disabled reputation

ralph, you could make a living doing that.
Old 28th March 2005
Greasemonkey

daPainta is an unknown quantity at this point

With one word: excellent!
Old 28th March 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

Its not on the seat yet. So far it would make a nice decoration for my garage. It could become a hobby. I bought a solo pillow seat off a 2000 sporty that I will redo after my pillion pad is done. I am a little concerned about the cheap seat bases on the Harley seat. They just glue and staple the covers on the thin plastic base. They use some chincy naugahide for their covers also.
Old 29th March 2005
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
cypher is an unknown quantity at this point

Sweet! You have to let us know how the sealant works to keep the artwork on the seat. Wow....I'll have to do that to my seat (of course, my own design)! I'm assuming you used the paint for the design?!?!? What about the dye?!?!? Awesome job.

Ok....I'm bad! I just saw the next topic where you show the how-to. Never mind......(on the paint part--I mean the rest of what I said).
Old 3rd April 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Here is the finished product. I know it is colorful and somewhat different but that is what I like about it. It is mine for my bike.
Know Thy Hog