The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > BUELL MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Buell Motorcycle Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
collinsb (70), bulldog1200C (56), DrBlond (51), Moonpie (49), mercybeat (44), mogwai (40), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (37)
Superbrace
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell X1 Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
purpony is a glorious beacon of lightpurpony is a glorious beacon of lightpurpony is a glorious beacon of lightpurpony is a glorious beacon of lightpurpony is a glorious beacon of lightpurpony is a glorious beacon of lightpurpony is a glorious beacon of lightpurpony is a glorious beacon of lightpurpony is a glorious beacon of lightpurpony is a glorious beacon of lightpurpony is a glorious beacon of light
Default head gasket issues on X1

I have a 99 X1 and last fall my front head gasket started leaking. I just removed the head and jug and installed new base gasket, head gasket, and all the other gaskets that go along with it.

my issue is the head gasket and dowel o-rings. The manual and everyone i talk to says the o-rings are for alignment! alignment of what? The -oring does not fit into the head gasket hole and when installed the head gasket sits ON TOP of the o-ring. This is what it looked like when i removed the old head gasket as well. I torqued the head down in the correct order to the torque spec and i could see light right through the head gasket. I then unloosened it like the manual says and then retorqued it. All looked good. Put a plug in it and turned it over and the head gasket leaks more then it ever did. Whats going on? I have read that the cosmetic gaskets you dont need the o-rings. any thoughts or input?

Also, is the X1 engine classified as an EVO sportster engine as far as gaskets and such go?

thanks
Old 13th June 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold

First off, Welcome to the forum.

The o-rings, if included with a gasket set are for alignment of the head gasket. If there is no room for them when the head gaskets are installed, the gasket is a non o-ring type.
Not sure why it would be leaking more than it was before. Unless it was installed with the o-rings and they're not needed.
All I've got for now.
As you can't post pics yet, can you provide a link to some?
Old 13th June 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum! The Cometic head gaskets and all others that are laminated steel or solid copper do not use the O rings. Using O rings with these type of head gaskets will cause a massive leak. The other possability is that your head is warped, which would only happen if it was overheated quite a bit. You can half @ss check this by placing a straight edge across the sealing surface and try to stick a feeler gauge under it. To check it right you need a surface plate and special measuring tools. You might also try lapping the sealing surface on the heads and cylinders by removing the dowels and wet sanding the sealing surface. You will need a piece of precision ground stock to lay the sand paper on to keep it flat and I use 600-800 grit lubricated with WD-40. I have read that others use plate glass for the flat stock, this may also work but I have not tried it. I also use the Cometic gaskets and had to remove the rivets and tie the laminates together with string. Because the rivets were being pinched between the heads and cylinders holding them apart. One of these suggestions should fix your problem, good luck and keep us posted
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil

Last edited by misterT; 13th June 2009 at 12:30.. Reason: add info
Old 13th June 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterT View Post
Welcome to the forum! The Cometic head gaskets and all others that are laminated steel or solid copper do not use the O rings. Using O rings with these type of head gaskets will cause a massive leak. The other possability is that your head is warped, which would only happen if it was overheated quite a bit. You can half @ss check this by placing a straight edge across the sealing surface and try to stick a feeler gauge under it. To check it right you need a surface plate and special measuring tools. You might also try lapping the sealing surface on the heads and cylinders by removing the dowels and wet sanding the sealing surface. You will need a piece of precision ground stock to lay the sand paper on to keep it flat and I use 600-800 grit lubricated with WD-40. I have read that others use plate glass for the flat stock, this may also work but I have not tried it. I also use the Cometic gaskets and had to remove the rivets and tie the laminates together with string. Because the rivets were being pinched between the heads and cylinders holding them apart. One of these suggestions should fix your problem, good luck and keep us posted
if you don't have a Precision ground stock available (most people don't) use a mirror or another piece of glass.

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch