The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
gp9739 (70), danbango (67), andyman1958 (56), 55 Jr (53), Love2FixIt (45), keywan (43), C Dubya (40), CA71xlch (39)
Burly
Motor Stage
Get Lowered
Licks Holiday

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2009
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: 1964 Triumph 3TA
Andy Hog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unbelievable

Hi all,

Yesterday I sorted the creeping clutch problem. I took the bike out for a test ride. The bike was working brilliant. On my way back to the garage, the front brake locked up on the disc and through me off the bike. I was trapped under the bike but luckly a guy walking by helped get the bike off me and up on it's wheels.

The damage, the left side forwards took the brunt of the fall. I had to kick them straight so I could use them. I had taken some tools with me just in case. Took the bolts off the caliper but it was stuck solid. I loosened the banjo bolt to release the pressure and the caliper came off. It was scorching hot, wrapped it in a rag and cable tied it to the bars.

It was very interesting riding with one brake. Got back to the garage to find the gears don't work. I can't believe it, I was already to take it for an MOT. This bike just doesn't seem to want to be on the road. Every time I fix a problem, wallop up pops half a dozen more.

What could have made the brake lock on? New master cylinder kit and new Goodridge hose fitted.

Will take the clutch and gear box a part later this week, after the stiffness eases up.

Andy.
Old 29th June 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Machinist Mike has a spectacular aura aboutMachinist Mike has a spectacular aura aboutMachinist Mike has a spectacular aura aboutMachinist Mike has a spectacular aura aboutMachinist Mike has a spectacular aura aboutMachinist Mike has a spectacular aura aboutMachinist Mike has a spectacular aura aboutMachinist Mike has a spectacular aura about

Damn, Sounds like you have a bad brake caliper.
Old 29th June 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Sprint ss
Other Motorcycle Year: 1967
runingmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura about

The caiper got ya.When they sit the piston will corrode(makeing a spot so piston won't return all the way). Rebuild the caliper (cleaning piston real good). Use dot 5 only.

Sorry to hear you were tossed. I have had my break stick too. Ended up changing master,hose,caliper,fluid all new. The PO was nice enough to use dot3 3 and 5 don't mix.
Old 29th June 2009
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Chris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura about

son of a b, glad your ok man.
Old 30th June 2009
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: 1964 Triumph 3TA
Andy Hog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am fine was stiff for a couple of days. There is a small hole in the MC that allows the fluid to return. I am going to check that sucker tomorrow to see if it is blocked.

Not looking forward to seeing what has happen with the gear box.

Andy.
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th June 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

Had a similar problem with my newly-acquired Honda CBX. Rebuilt both front calipers and the MC. On first ride, front brakes began to lock up. Fortunately, it was a gradual lockup and I was able to pull over with smoking brakes and relieve the front line pressure by cracking the lines. Turned out to be a very small bleed hole in the MC that was plugged with a tiny bit of junk preventing pressure from relieving in the lines/calipers. Once cleaned out, all is perfect again.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 1st July 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Schutzhund is on a distinguished roadSchutzhund is on a distinguished roadSchutzhund is on a distinguished road

WIth regards to the spill youare a lucky SOB. The mechanicals of the machine not so much.
Old 29th June 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default You listed "New master cylinder kit" as one of the last things done...

...to the bike.
Do you mean that you re-built the m/c?
If so, go back and take a second (and third and fourth) look at what you did.

Most mechanical problems are owner-generated and looking back at the prior work done on a specific component will usually reveal this.