The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > BUELL MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Buell Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Foxcreek Leather
BIKE BUILDER
Ironworks Magazine

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 2006 xl1200r
ultraeconomike is on a distinguished roadultraeconomike is on a distinguished road
Default Allen Heads on Primary Chain Inspection Cover

Trying to change my transmission oil via Primary Chain Inspection Cover. Can't budge the allen head screws that hold it on. Tried electric drill with #3 allen head but it won't budge. Does anybody have any advice on how I can loosen theses screws?
Old 1st November 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250R Hammer Performance
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
leo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to behold

i had the same issue on mine when i tried to remove the cover after a ride. i let it cool down for a while and came off with no problems.
Old 1st November 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
MonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the rough

They are NOT allen heads, you will strip them in a heart beat. They are either, #25 or #27 I forget which, Torx bit head. Do it cold and use a good firm pressure inwards as you slowly but firmly turn them out.
2007 XL883L- Pearl black or nighty tins, V&H short or side shots depends on my mood lol, Drag bars, fwd. controls, mini speedo, wire tuck, coil and ignition moved, solo saddle, other stuff moved/removed.
Old 1st November 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

They are number 27 torx heads if your back is new and hasnt been changed, so they could be allen heads
Old 1st November 2009
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMouse View Post
They are NOT allen heads, you will strip them in a heart beat. They are either, #25 or #27 I forget which, Torx bit head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV View Post
They are number 27 torx heads if your back is new and hasnt been changed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg Scraper View Post
They should be torx head bolts unless someone changed them to allen head bolts.
Are you all sure about this? Mine are 5/32" allen heads.

The screws on the the clutch inspection cover are T27 Torx, but the chain inspection cover has allen heads.

Mike, what year bike have you got?
'The green machine'
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd November 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
mozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post

The screws on the the clutch inspection cover are T27 Torx, but the chain inspection cover has allen heads.

Folkie is absolutely correct. Hey Folkie, if I remember right from another thread, Mike has an 06 xl1200r, which means your answer should still apply to his scoot as well. But, I don't know what he means by a "#3 allen head." Is that metric? Anyway, if those bolts are really stuck in there, a 5/32" allen socket on a breaker bar will work. Been there and done that on a friend's scoot...
2005 883 Custom, 16" apes, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, w/EVO 8" round cover, National Cycle light bar, Mustang Wide Studded Solo Seat and Pillion, Khromewerks 2" drag pipe slip-ons, Cycle Visions 30" sissy bar, 3" tank lift, HB125XL Hydraulic Primary Chain Tensioner. Riding is my life. Blinging is just a hobby.
Old 2nd November 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
MonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post

Ya know what, I believe your correct.
Old 2nd November 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

yup! Folkie is correct again.
Old 1st November 2009
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Peg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of light

They should be torx head bolts unless someone changed them to allen head bolts.

Get yourself a hand impact driver.

[URL="http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/group.php?groupid=3"][highlight][B]Wisconsin Riders[/B][/highlight][/URL][B]
[I][SIZE=1]A collective area for get togethers, to needed help wrenching. even parts trading.[/SIZE][/I][/B][LIST][*][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle. ~[I]Author Unknown[/I][/FONT][*][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~[I]Author Unknown[/I][/FONT][*][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~[I]Hunter Thompson[/I][/FONT][/LIST][CENTER]
[URL="http://www.wunderground.com/US/WI/West_Allis.html?bannertypeclick=big2"][IMG]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_both_cond/language/www/US/WI/West_Allis.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[URL="http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMWC/1972/1/1/PlannerHistory.html?bannertypeclick=htmlSticker"]Plan your trip[/URL] / [URL="http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=MKX&region=a4&lat=43.02114105&lon=-88.01747894"]Local Radar[/URL] / [URL="http://www.wunderground.com/US/WI/West_Allis.html?bannertypeclick=htmlSticker"]Detailed Forecast[/URL]
[/CENTER]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][B][SIZE=2]Ol' Dirtbeard of the Hell's Beerguts MC[/SIZE]
[I][URL="http://www.ratbike.org/motorcycho/outlawname.php"][SIZE=1]What's your Outlaw Biker name?[/SIZE][/URL][/I][/B][/FONT]
Old 1st November 2009
CANUKSTER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Lenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever style they are, If you didn't put 'em in, they may have locktite on them.

What I would do is hold a soldering iron on the head of the bolt for a few minutes and they try and remove.

Do NOT put locktite back on them when you get them out.

Do you have the Factory Service Manual (FSM)? If not, get one and make sure to follow the torque values and sequences.
Lenster's 1250 2006 XL1250C, Hammer Crush Heads, 15 Degree Pistons, 10.5:1 CR, S&S Roller Rockers, Fixed Length Pushrods, Jim's Powerglide II Hydraulic Lifters, RedShift 585 Cams, Energy 1 Clutch w/ 15% Stronger Spring, Hammer Performance Billet Intake Manifold, Mikuni HSR 45, Offset Crush AC, RB Racing LSR 2:1 Exhaust and a Daytona Twin Tec TC88A with a Kickass Map by Rico 05R.

Know Thy Hog