The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Licks Holiday
DK Customs
Zippers Performance
Biltwell

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: Sears/Gilera 106SS
Other Motorcycle Year: 196?
74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice
Default Kicker Install on a 74 XLH

Over the weekend I installed the kicker kit on my 1974 XLH. This kit was from J&P and was multiple individual parts in a big box. Most of the parts were V-Twin parts. Everything seemed to be of quality fit and finish, and I did not have any major issues to speak of. The kit does not come with any instructions so I relied on my FSM and my parts catalog for the install. The kit did come with a few things that were already installed from the factory on my particular bike; you may or may not have the same. This instruction is based on my install and how I did it, I am not saying it is 100% correct in steps taken, and I am sure not everyone will agree with it, but this is how I did the install with great results.

1. Remove the primary cover.

2. Install Clutch Spring Compressing Tool (OEM 97178-71) on crankcase by screwing into the crankcase cover screw holes. I didn’t have the Clutch Spring Compressing Tool, but made something that looks similar. Compress the releasing disc with the tool to take pressure off of the spring tension adjusting nuts and remove the nuts.

3. Remove tool, release disc, and inner and outer springs.

4. Remove retaining ring from groove in clutch shell. Pull on the studs that you removed the spring tension adjusting nuts from in step 2. Pressure plate, drive plates, and stud spacers will pull out as a whole.

5. Remove the chain adjuster brace and Install a Sprocket Locking Link (OEM 97200-55). I didn’t have the Sprocket Locking Link, but made something that looks similar.

6. Install a Clutch Lock Plate (OEM 97173-71) between the clutch hub and the clutch shell. I didn’t have the Clutch Lock Plate, but made 3 things similar to the Sprocket Locking Link used in step 5. Bend the tab over on the Hub Nut Lockwasher and remove the Hub Nut using a 1-1/2” socket.

7. Remove the Clutch Lock Plate (or whatever you used) then remove the clutch hub from the clutch shell.

8. Using the Compensating Sprocket Shaft Wrench (OEM 94557-55) remove the Compensating Sprocket Nut and spring. I didn’t have the Compensating Sprocket Shaft Wrench, but had something in the Ironhead Toolbox from when my dad used to wrench on this thing.

9. Holding the Clutch Shell with your right hand, and the Compensating Sprocket with your left hand, pull both toward you to remove chain and sprockets as a whole.

10. There will be a 5/16” bolt with a washer behind where the Clutch Shell was. It is to the right of the Clutch Gear Shaft. Remove this bolt and washer, and also the plug and oil seal on the back side.

This is with the bolt removed and the plug on the other side still in the case.

This is what the plug, the oil seal, the washer, and the bolt look like removed from the case.

11. When I removed the plug from the case, the kicker shaft bushing was already installed in the case; it is possible that yours will be existing already too. If it is already installed in the case, you do not need to remove and install the one that comes with the kit. You can see it in the first picture in step 10, it is bronze in color. Also already existing was the Crank Gear Stop Pin, and the Crank Gear Stop Pin Washer. The Crank Gear Stop Pin will be inside the case at about the 4 o’clock position to the Kicker shaft hole. Again, if this exists already you will not need the one provided in the kit.

12. Install the new Oil Seal on the back side of the case. This is a little tricky to get in, but I managed to get it installed using two long straight screw drivers and a little bit of patients. Just get one side in and work your way around.

13. Next I installed the seven thousandths (.007”) shim, and Shaft Thrust Plate. To do this I used a bit of primary oil to hold the shim to the Shaft Thrust Plate and inserted a long punch through the hole to help me guide the two pieces into position. The order of installation should be oil seal, shim, thrust plate, then kicker shaft. On the thrust plate, there are two flat sides, the longest flat side shall be to the top when positioned on the bike.

14. The next part, installing the kicker shaft, was pretty tricky and took some time. I found that a healthy coat of o-ring lube on the kicker shaft and the oil seal helped. Gently, but firmly install the kicker shaft into the case so not to destroy the oil seal. Also make sure the thrust plate is properly seated on the Crank Gear Stop Pin Washer on the exterior of the case. The notch at the end of the shaft where the kicker pedal arm gets installed should be in about the 11 o’clock position.

15. Place the crank gear on the squared end of the shaft inside the case. The recessed “half-moon” slot of the crank gear should fit over the crank gear stop pin, this is what limits the travel of the pedal.

16. Install the lock washer and the nut on the shaft. Install the smaller end of the clutch spring into the groove on the starter clutch gear. The spring will snap down into the recess on the clutch gear. Place the clutch gear with attached spring over the clutch sprocket spacer. Install the clutch gear, spring, and spacer over the clutch shaft. Rotate the kicker shaft gear clockwise from lock to be able to mesh the cogs of the kicker shaft gear and the clutch gear. Rotate the kicker shaft gear to counter-clockwise back to lock to retain the clutch gear behind the cam plate.

17. For the next part, installing the ratchet plate to the clutch shell, I made a little jig to keep everything centered. Rather than using the rivets which you have to peen or buck, or welding which I have heard of being done as well, I chose to drill and tap using 8-32 flathead machine screws. My jig bolts to the milling machine’s table fits through the bearing in the clutch shell. I then have a ring with the I.D. of the O.D. bolted to the table, and the O.D. of the I.D. of the ratchet plate (That’s a mouth full, make sense?). At this point the ratchet plate is centered with the bearing which is centered with the clutch shell. I then center drilled a pilot hole, drilled a through hole for the tap, re-countersunk the ratchet plate using an 82 degree countersink, tapped the hole 8-32, and installed a 8-32 x 3/8” flathead machine screw. I did all of this one at a time for each hole, alternating approximately 180 degrees each time. Once all the holes were complete, I removed all of the screws and reinstalled with LocTite Red permanent. This may have taken a little longer than installing the rivets, but I think in the long run it was probably better. The rivets can be quite tricky to install and easy to mess up, or think they are tight when they aren’t. The whole process of drilling, tapping, and screwing took approximately 1 hour. I would be happy to offer this service to anyone interested in installing their ratchet gear to the clutch shell.

Bottom half of the jig.

Clutch Shell on bottom half of the jig.

Ratchet Plate setting on top of the Clutch Shell.

Top half of the jig centering the Ratchet Plate to the Clutch Shell.

Everything secured, and ready for machining.

Hole after being center drilled, through drilled, countersunk, and tapped.

All screws installed.

Left to Right: Center Drill, through hole Drill Bit, Counter Sink, 8-32 Tap, 8-32 flat head machine screw, Allen Wrench.

Completed Assembly.

The rest of the installation should be reverse of the tear down, except for the kicker pedal arm and return spring, which should be pretty self explanatory. As always, have the FSM on hand. I have not completed the install past the point above, so if something odd comes up, I will add to this thread.

I still need to make a “sprocket cover” as I am not going to use the polished one that was provided with the kit. I am going to be making something more of an open design to compliment the chopped cam cover. I am also going to run a tube back to the rear motor mount for added rigidity to the kicker shaft.

Again if anyone is interested in having their ratchet plate attached to their clutch shell as I have done above, let me know, and we can work something out.

Hopefully this will help at least one person at some point.

K.C.K.C.

Last edited by IronMick; 25th March 2012 at 03:41..
Old 15th February 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

What an awesome tutorial! Pics, pics and more pics! So well explained. Thank you for this. Into the Stickys with it!
Old 18th March 2014
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: IRONHEAD
Other Motorcycle Model: ROAD GLIDE
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Twisted Nightster is an unknown quantity at this point

i believe i have found the reason for the bind , i failed to attach the spring to the gear like this ( Install the smaller end of the clutch spring into the groove on the starter clutch gear. The spring will snap down into the recess on the clutch gear). I think thats why it was forcing the gear out against back of clutch hub housing and not letting it move. ill know tomorrow morning.
Old 15th February 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

This has been one of the most frequently asked questions on here in recent times. Seems like kickers are cool again. Your pic tutorial will be much appreciated by many I am sure. Thanks for sharing.
Old 15th February 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 72
72 Ironhead XLH has disabled reputation

Untill I can access my photobucket I think the masterlink is backwards.
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th February 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh1000 74/xlh1000 81
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 81
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CR250 chuck chaser
auslad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kicker

Excellent peice of work etc.......for sure.....but wouldnt it be better just took wack your knee with a lump hammer and have done with it......only jesting
Old 15th February 2010
Drag Race Champion

74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Ironhead XLH View Post
Untill I can access my photobucket I think the masterlink is backwards.
I think this is what you were trying to post.

You are correct, it is backwards, I will correct. I must have had the rotation direction of the chain the wrong way in my head. Thanks.
Old 15th February 2010
Flat Track Racer

draimondi will become famous soon enoughdraimondi will become famous soon enoughdraimondi will become famous soon enoughdraimondi will become famous soon enoughdraimondi will become famous soon enoughdraimondi will become famous soon enough

Awesome thread, This is what i'm wanting to do on my 74 as well. Can't count on the ole battery every day.
I had a question about your cover... How did you get it that color I like it.
Does anyone out here know where I can buy replacement covers? Thanks.
Old 15th February 2010
Drag Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by draimondi View Post
Awesome thread, This is what i'm wanting to do on my 74 as well. Can't count on the ole battery every day.
I had a question about your cover... How did you get it that color I like it.
Does anyone out here know where I can buy replacement covers? Thanks.
It is a wrinkle black powdercoat. Coated the primary cover, cam cover, rocker covers, oil tank, forks, forward controls, handlebar risers, kickstand, and frame in it.
Old 15th February 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by draimondi View Post
... Does anyone out here know where I can buy replacement covers? Thanks.
Any local shop can order them, or any of the mail-order companies J&P etc, or eBay, or NOSParts.
Know Thy Hog