The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
BIKE BUILDER
RYCA Motors
Energy One Clutches
S&S Cycle

Figure Machine
Tags
battery

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
MikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura about
Default How long has your battery lasted?

I, for one, find battery technology somewhat intriguing. That is largely in part to the fact my father was an engineer in the battery division of GM and I worked at one of the battery plants in California for a short stint.

I also work in an industry where I have to change out batteries of all shapes and sizes. It's interesting to see the surrounding environment and how taxed some batteries get and also how it effects their longevity.

I have a 2003 sporty that I bought new in late 2002. To this day, it has the stock battery in it. It's never seen a trickle charger in all it's life. I don't leave the accessory switch on for long durations. The battery itself isn't exceptionally dirty or clean (I do run with a battery cover). I know these newer batteries are not cheap (pushing the $200 envelope) so I'm glad that I've received 8+ years of service out of my battery (and hopefully more). I think my bike appreciates that I ride it often enough to not deplete it's battery. I feel I should knock on some wood and not jinx myself.

So question is: How long have you run the same battery? Do you use a trickle charger/tender at any point to maintain it?
Old 27th July 2010
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Calvin is a glorious beacon of lightCalvin is a glorious beacon of lightCalvin is a glorious beacon of lightCalvin is a glorious beacon of lightCalvin is a glorious beacon of lightCalvin is a glorious beacon of lightCalvin is a glorious beacon of lightCalvin is a glorious beacon of lightCalvin is a glorious beacon of lightCalvin is a glorious beacon of lightCalvin is a glorious beacon of light

The guy replaced the battery in mine the day before I bought it. So I guess it lasted right at three years. I keep the new one on a Battery Tender, so I guess I'll see if it helps.
Old 27th July 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

My last one lasted about 7 years.
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 27th July 2010
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
grampadac is a name known to allgrampadac is a name known to allgrampadac is a name known to allgrampadac is a name known to allgrampadac is a name known to allgrampadac is a name known to allgrampadac is a name known to allgrampadac is a name known to allgrampadac is a name known to allgrampadac is a name known to allgrampadac is a name known to all

Mine has 6yrs on it and I have to use a tender if I leave it for more than 4 days which isn't often.

[IMG]http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/grampadac/DCP_0702.jpg[/IMG]
Old 27th July 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: White Hot Denim XR1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
KevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud of

Mine lasted 2 years. Guess the voltage dropped to low when the bike was being converted. Bought a new one, and always put it on a trickle charger now. (rode about 200km the last 3 years, so it's mostly charging)
Know Thy Hog

Old 27th July 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r -1200
Other Motorcycle Model: 850 Yamaha TRX
Other Motorcycle Year: 98
tich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond repute

8 years on one 2002 sporty No problems HD origanal. the 2003, I carnt vouch for but it looks like the origanal,that one has a trickle charger plug atached and gives no problems either. The 2002 has been used reguarly the 03 had just over 4,000 miles on it last november. I ges thats why it has the trickle plug.
Old 27th July 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB12X
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBR600F4
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Desert Bueller is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a battery last night. I've had the 883 for a year now and called the previous owner, he said it's the original battery so 9 years for mine. The battery on my Ulysses is also done for, that's a 2006 model.
Old 27th July 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
blunt is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an FYI, if you have a battery Plus store near you, they sell battery's for everything. They have 3 options for sportster batteries. They have a chinese made one, then they have an american made one, from the same manufacture as the harley branded one. and a premium one with more CCAs. even the premium one is less then getting one at the stealership. At least in the local store they will check your battery and charging system for you free of charge. I went thier to get a battery for a Suzuki Tempter years ago, and now get all my batteries their. Four wheeler, cars and recently my sporty. I see them giving better customer service to someone buying a $5 watch battery then you will get spending thousands at my local harley dealer.
Old 27th July 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 CUSTOM
hrg is a glorious beacon of lighthrg is a glorious beacon of lighthrg is a glorious beacon of lighthrg is a glorious beacon of lighthrg is a glorious beacon of lighthrg is a glorious beacon of lighthrg is a glorious beacon of lighthrg is a glorious beacon of lighthrg is a glorious beacon of lighthrg is a glorious beacon of lighthrg is a glorious beacon of light

battery on my bike is still good-7 years and 60000 km, last year i bought battery tender and it's plugged when i'm not driving
Old 27th July 2010
Knuckle Draggin' Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1250 Red-taxes paid
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1250 Black-taxes paid
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
wrongpaw has disabled reputation

Just had to replace the Battery on the wifes bike. Original since
2001. Got 9 years out of it, cant complain!

2001 XL883/1250 Red (taxes paid and then some...)

2001 XL883/1250 Black (Just like the red one)
Know Thy Hog