The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Members Birthdays
black pearl (73), SDREDD (56), pig (54), BonRu (52), cbass (44), ssm7530 (42), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (34)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2010
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 86 Sporty
tauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the rough
Default My project.

I've been building tanks, fenders, airboxes and seat pans since 1992, Difference is that I use composites.
We're based in South Africa and the turnaround time to import stuff plus the exchange rate was crazy so guys here were quite happy to have Carbon parts.
In 06 a "friend" approached me to build custom bikes. The deal was he would put up the money and I would do the work. It was one of them 50/50 handshake deals.
My only stipulation was that we built stuff solely for pre 2002 Sporties.
I built a multi adjustable frame jig to accomodate bobbers, pro street and choppers. I can go as wide as a 300 rear.
I built 3 frames, one of each!. "Friend's" deal was to import wheels and other parts like sprotor calipers.
It took 18 months for him to get me the first set of wheels. I would go check on eBay to see if he had purchased the required stuff only to find that he was buying stuff for his Nissan 350Z, toys for his kids, shit for his wife etc.

I had designed over 140 components including springer frontends, engine mountings, sprotors, axles, mountings, you name it, I did it.
Stuff was plasma cut, milled and turned by CNC and bent on computerised benders. He paid for enough material to build 20 bikes.
I was frustrated by a lack of calipers and other bits and pieces but nothing happened.
I heard he got bored waiting!!!!!!!
The dude wanted an OCC type slap a bike together in a few days deal.
He moved on and never answered over 300 calls to his mobile.

Three years later and still haven't heard JACK and then his "Hit Man" pulls in here wanting to take all the stuff away. I said fine but your boss needs to pay me $200,000 for 3 years labour before anything goes out the door.

Via the grapevine I hear that the rich dude washed his hands of the deal months ago and the Heavy was trying a fast one.

I'm running the show on my own now with no interuptions and Bobbers are my passion.

Here are some of my components.

Just a sampling of a few things I designed and built.
First order of business is to finish my Bobber. I have to paint the frame, get some powder coating done and then I can start assembly.

I'll post pics of the progress as soon as I can get a decent camera.
This bike has been 3 years in the making and will be special I promise.
Old 25th October 2010
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
fatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of light

Nice....welcome again to the forum. You'd probably have a small market right here on this forum...
Old 25th October 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
POUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the rough

Welcome from GA
Nice looking stuff, cant wait to see bike done.
Old 25th October 2010
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
SuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to all

Sounds interesting to say the least! Looking forward to following so get a decent camera AND WELCOME from CalifornIA
Old 25th October 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a carbon fiber seat? Can't wait to see your bobber. Good luck!
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 25th October 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1977 Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 200 XLC Sportster 883
Other Motorcycle Model: 1995 HD Bad Boy
Richies Armor is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I would start another project JUST to put that seat on it!!

Interested, when you get the time send me a PM.

Thanks

Richie
Old 25th October 2010
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 86 Sporty
tauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the rough

Guys, thanks for the inspiration. It fires me up.
I'm not really here to market my stuff. I'm a Sporty lover but if I can help out here and there, then no problem.
Being in Africa it's hard to find guys here that share the passion. Born in the wrong country, lol.
Big fan of the Airborne forces so here's my helmet.
Fallschirmjaeger (ww11 German Para replica) Carbon/Kevlar.
Waiting for my leather straps so I can complete it.
Yup I painted it already.

Old 25th October 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Model: GL1800
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Durockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond repute

Even though you're not here to "market" your stuff, you sure have piqued my interest. Can you PM me with some info as to where and how I can get more info on your products?
Old 26th October 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Short Chop
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Blaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durockrolly View Post
Even though you're not here to "market" your stuff, you sure have piqued my interest.
Ummm ditto!!

In a world of deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of revolt.
Sponsored Links
Old 25th October 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883c sold :(
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: gl1200, gs650g, gs450a
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
Mop Bucket is a name known to allMop Bucket is a name known to allMop Bucket is a name known to allMop Bucket is a name known to allMop Bucket is a name known to allMop Bucket is a name known to allMop Bucket is a name known to allMop Bucket is a name known to allMop Bucket is a name known to allMop Bucket is a name known to allMop Bucket is a name known to all

Welcome

Have any pictures of your bobber? I love em too so if you can share the bobber goodness.