The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > BUELL MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Buell Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Mr.P (50), G-man1965, Dietoride (45), mct496 (43), JuggaloCujo (31)
NHRS Performance
Licks Cycles
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: bmw r75/6...gone
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
devilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura about
Default Rear wheel widths

Howdy,
I've posted a snippet of my introduction I was told you folks could probably answer.

On the bike, It now has a KK frame with Buell M2 wheels front and rear and X1 inverted forks. Which leads me to the question that has drawn me out of lurk mode. Is the hub width and centerline of the Buell 5.0 wheel (170/60-17) the same as the 5.5 (180/55-17)? I'm to the point of buying sprockets, and have the narrower of the two, and won't need the 5.5 until I start on the rear fender.

Any money saved buying another wheel right now may be better spent on just getting it drivable again!
Thanks in advance,
-DH
Old 14th November 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
cowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of light

The way I would go about it is, put the wheel you have on the bike, and center it. When you have it centered you can use the parts you have to get an idea where you need to be. Do you need a sprocket, or can you space the wheel pulley? Need more info to help you more.
04 1200R N4 cams, custom A/C , stage 1 P&P, porker switchblades, Tc88a with Ricos Hooligan map, 185 main, 48 slow, and custom 5.2 gal tank. 3-1/2in extended forward controls, Enough about me, tell me about you.
Old 14th November 2010
Master Mechanic

devilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura about

I have a 170/60-17 wheel &tire mounted. As I recall, the centerline of the hub is offset a quarter inch. Due to frame width, I'll have to run chain drive. I see later model Buells with a 180/55-17 rear tire and want to know if the hub geometry was changed when the rim width was increased the half inch. Fabbing new aluminum spacers for centering isn't so much my concern as the potential difference in the relationship to the drive sprocket.
I hope that was clearer. I have a a rolling bike minus drive and wire. At $75 and plenty of elbow grease, I don't want to change front sprockets too often!
-DH
Old 14th November 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
cowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of light

As long as the wheel and tire are centered, it wont matter about the hub offset. Vulcan works is where I get the pulley spacers, best price. Hope I have answered you questions.
Old 14th November 2010
Master Mechanic

That'll work! I think I'll send PBI some money for sprockets. I wanted to set the rear fender up to run a 180 rear. That way I can use the 170 later if need be. I made my own spacers on a CNC lathe at work, so swapping them is just an issue of getting a couple minutes to spare. I'll probaby turn the drive spacer/s as well.
-DH
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th November 2010
Cafe Street Tracker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1250 NRHS
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883c (Wife's)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
J.P. is a name known to allJ.P. is a name known to allJ.P. is a name known to allJ.P. is a name known to allJ.P. is a name known to allJ.P. is a name known to allJ.P. is a name known to allJ.P. is a name known to allJ.P. is a name known to allJ.P. is a name known to allJ.P. is a name known to all

pics of the bike please

2008 XL 883/NRHS 1250, Stage 2 heads, Flat top ceramic coated pistons, 536 cams, 10.5:1 compression, Progressive 14.25" 412's, Progressive fork springs, Intiminators, Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather, Custom headers by Justin at Bishop's Custom Cycles with a Dan Moto carbon fiber can, Storz Performance Tail Section, Chainsikle rear sets, Superbrace Fork Brace, Daytona Steering Damper, Jagg oil cooler, Flanders Low Cafe Bars, RSD 1 1/2" risers, 8" Headlight, National Cycles F-16 wind screen, Bar end mirrors, Sport front fender, Honda GB250 tank knee pads