The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
883 Sportster
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
Motor Stage

Hammer Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th December 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
freeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to behold
Default FreeIdaho Build

Howdy,
I thought I should document the mild build going on at my house. I have learned a whole lot here at the University of XLForum. Thanks for that.

I bought a 2006 883L from Craig's list with 3200 miles, garage kept, and for a dynamite price. It has data-dots, the HD security system, and the accessories shown.

This is my first bike in 28 years. I rode every day from age 8 to age 32. But when I moved to Kali back in the early 80's, I sold 5 motorcycles and hadn't ridden since.

Along about September I was making a list of all the things I could buy that would add joy to my life. And since I can't afford a mistress, a motorcycle was next on the list. And I always buy American first, so right when I started my research, this Sportster showed up on Craig's list.

I know, I know, it is a lowly 883, and a lowly rubber mount, but I like it.

kr
/-----\ http://www.parmarng.org ..................... If life throws you a curve, lean into it and apply throttle.
|*------/\ ...............Wouldn't be an economic crisis if you had bought AMERICAN.
|--------| ...............Spent most of my money on cars, motorcycles, guns and girls, the rest I just wasted.
+--------+ ...............Silence is taken as consent. Do you consent?

Old 28th December 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

freeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to behold

Howdy,
As I was driving it home at 35 degrees in the rain, the choke knob decided to self destruct. So here is my first change on the bike.

The aluminum knob took about 15 minutes on the lathe, and works great.

kr
Old 28th December 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
cowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeidaho View Post
I know, I know, it is a lowly 883, and a lowly rubber mount, but I like it.
kr
Why lowly?? I would say the rubbermount is a better engine but that's just me.
04 1200R N4 cams, custom A/C , stage 1 P&P, porker switchblades, Tc88a with Ricos Hooligan map, 185 main, 48 slow, and custom 5.2 gal tank. 3-1/2in extended forward controls, Enough about me, tell me about you.
Old 28th December 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Howdy,
Next was a final drive cover change. If one needs to change a belt on the road this cover makes it very hard. The right footpeg needs to come off to get the cover off. Besides, I just like the mechanicalness of it all.

With a bandsaw and a sanding drum we get:

And here is the finished result.

Now I may have to buy a belt on the road in some podunk town, but I can put it on myself.

kr
Old 28th December 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Howdy,
It seems like 25% of all the threads on this forum are about exhausts. They are clearly one of the things that add character to a Sportster. And many hold strong opinions about what is correct and what is not.

And although I will make a 2 into 1 at some point, I'm starting out with the Gronk mod on the stock mufflers. My thanks go out to Sir Gronk. Because he was willing to show how to get the muffler apart and get the baffle out, this becomes a modification that is low risk and easy to do.

$42 off of ebay got me a slightly used set of mufflers to play with. I plasma cut the baffles out of the mufflers and spent a couple of hours drilling holes in the baffles. The original 1/8" holes were enlarged to 5/16", and then lots more holes were added. The original holes had a cross sectional area of 2.9 square inches. The new baffle now has 20.3 square inches of holes.

I just welded the baffles back into the mufflers, but don't have them on the motorcyle yet. So standby for a sound bite.

For those doing this modification, there are two tough parts. One is to clean up the holes after they are drilled. I had a grinding stone small enough to fit into the baffle on the end of a 12" rod, so that worked for me.

The second hard part is forming the bell on the end, so the baffles can be welded back in. I heated the end of the baffle and forced it onto the round end of a large ball-peen hammer. This worked great, but I would suggest doing this part before the holes are drilled. The baffle has so many holes in it that it is probably weakened. So doing the bell before the drilling will make sure the baffle is not damaged by forming the bell. I had no distortion of the baffle during this process, but was very careful about putting force on the baffle.

kr
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th December 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Howdy,
Two days ago the rear fender got shorter. Can you tell the company I work for shuts down for two weeks over Christmas?

Those of you that shoot competitively will notice the use of target paster tape

I used a jig saw to do the cutting. I prefer it over the cut off wheel for some things.

kr
Old 28th December 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Howdy,
Next is to move the turn signals to the rear fender. I bought a set of Kriss Products, turn signals and running lights for the rear.

But as you know there isn't really much of a flat spot on the rear fender after it is cut. So I made a dimple tool. Here the tool is inserted into a hole drilled for the turn signal, and tightened up. This makes a 1" round flat spot in the fender centered on the drilled hole, and gives one a handle to do some bending.

Then one can "steer" the tool to make a flat spot on the fender point the right direction to attach the turn signal to.

Here is the tool in the open.

And finally, here is the fender with the turn signals mocked up.

My custom tail light should be here by the first of the month. Then I will have three stop lights to help wake up the other drivers. I have designed, but not yet built a brake light/turn signal coupler and modulator. That will give me even more visibility.

kr
Old 28th December 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHRC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
GophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really nice

Nice work so far! I think I need to find a friend with a machine shop.

Old 28th December 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thank you!

What has worked for me goes as follows. Whenever you have a job to do, buy the tools and do it yourself. Apply this to mufflers, washing machines, garbage disposals, tune ups, new patio, chainlink fence, plumbing, etc. You get the idea. Just remember to buy good quality tools. You don't need Snap On, but Harbor Freight won't cut it.

I have found one can buy the tools and parts, screw it up once and still come out ahead dollar wise. And when you are done, you still have the tools and the experience. This approach applied over a lifetime will net you several tool boxes full of tools and the skills to go with them.

And with the internet, you can find information on almost any job. It is much easier than in the past to get educated before tackling a new job.

kr
Old 28th December 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Short Chop
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Blaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to all

Subscribed!

In a world of deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of revolt.
Know Thy Hog