The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > XR Sportster Motorcycle Talk - XR750, XR1000, XR1200
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

XR Sportster Motorcycle Talk - XR750, XR1000, XR1200 For XR Sportsters: XR750, XR1000, XR1200

Members Birthdays
garbiker (80), alan2ring (66), gregg (64), MO-FO (59), tonygs (57), Ricen (50), cwilsonav8 (48), lthj75 (42)
Main Menu
Tags
flat track, flattrack, racing

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell P3
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Ninja650R traded for 883R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Ralphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really nice
Thumbs up But the "old" memories are the best :)

And btw- Randy Texter is a friend of mine. And fyi, did you know that both his kids : Son-Cory(20), and Daughter-Shayna(17) have both turned Pro Flattrackers ! Randy was a good flattracker, but was an even better roadracer, but Kevin was/is still a Great Flattracker !
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
Ralph I remember when a guy(Randy Texter) from your way won the harley 883 roadrace series the first year they had it ,and I also remember kevin Varnes also use to flat track an 883! Man I am getting old.
*Former- AMA N.E. District 2 Flattracker #15u '74-'84
Old 22nd May 2008

Ralphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really niceRalphthe3rd is just really nice
Arrow They were using a stock Frame per rules !

The 883 Roadracers AND Flattrackers were actually pretty close to stock specs in all areas, as the class was supposed to low cost and competitive.
I tuned an 883 Flattracker for a friend, and the rules didn't allow very much in the way of non-OEM parts swapping, so basically you just blueprinted eveything you couldn't change, and everything else that was allowed- you went with good stuff
BTW- almost all the 883 racers are now back on the roads in street legal trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
BTW were the 883 racers using a HD frame? or custom.
Old 22nd May 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200S Taxes Paid
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
waspkid is on a distinguished roadwaspkid is on a distinguished road

This just sounds like to much fun! Gotta find me a basket case to play with.
Future Assessments Eagerly Anticipated :D
Old 22nd May 2008

Thumbs up Here's some Flattrack 883 pix

Too bad that class is history, it was a fun class...

BTW- I have 100+ MORE 883 Flattrack Racing pix downloaded to my 883R Yahoo Group, join that group if you want to see the photos.
Old 22nd May 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Road Glide FLTRI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 06
Other Motorcycle Model: Norton Commando
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
Todd31de is a name known to allTodd31de is a name known to allTodd31de is a name known to allTodd31de is a name known to allTodd31de is a name known to allTodd31de is a name known to allTodd31de is a name known to allTodd31de is a name known to allTodd31de is a name known to allTodd31de is a name known to allTodd31de is a name known to all

I always enjoyed the 883 Flattrack series. They were the bikes you rode to watch the races.

"Beer is proof god loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin
Old 22nd May 2008
Flat Track Champion

turn8a has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphthe3rd View Post
And btw- Randy Texter is a friend of mine. And fyi, did you know that both his kids : Son-Cory(20), and Daughter-Shayna(17) have both turned Pro Flattrackers ! Randy was a good flattracker, but was an even better roadracer, but Kevin was/is still a Great Flattracker !
I did not know Randy that well I met him through Bill at Penn State cycles when he was racing the Suzuki , lent Kevin my roadracer so he could get his wera licence, Myself and Bill have become really good friends through the years talk to him all the time. cool pic's !!!!!!!!!
Old 22nd May 2008

Thumbs up A couple MORE 883 Flattracker pix...

...for posterity. Don't forget, these are ONLY 883's- NOT XR750's !

Josh Toungett leads Scott Deubler and Timmy Mitchell
May 26, 2002 - Springfield Mile, Springfield, IL

Merle Scherb, Rusty Rogers, James Hart, A.J. Eslick, Robert Lewis, and Jared Mees.
August 10, 2002 - Hagerstown Speedway, Hagerstown, MD

A.J. Eslick & Jared Mees
September 22, 2002 - Scioto Downs, Columbus, OH

Jess Roeder & Jared Mees
September 22, 2002 - Scioto Downs, Columbus, OH
Old 22nd May 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883R
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
Rags is an unknown quantity at this point

Notice the fork braces... BTW thanks for posting... nice pix
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd May 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell 1125R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R/XR1200 Storz
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FJR
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
duggram has disabled reputation

Yesterday I called Storz and talked to Steve himself. He said that racing a rubber mount is still an unknown. Today I talked to Bill Culver at C&J frames and he said they do nothing for rubber mounts. He suggested buying an older bike (i.e. Buell) and starting from there.

Problem is that I've already got this '07 Sportster and don't want to part with it. At least if I Storz it I can get most of my money back after I do my track racing or continue to ride on the street. If I buy a C&J frame, used bike, parts, etc. I'll spend more and what would it sell for?

The bottom line is that all I want to do is have fun. I don't have to win, but I don't want to finish last. I just want to skid around that 3/8 mile track they have here, have some fun and make some more memories.
AMA District 36 #154D ('66 - '69)
Old 23rd May 2008

Red face You're starting to sound a little....

First off, why would Bill Culver suggest buying a BUELL- to make into a Flattracker ? -thats an even WORSE idea !
And let me explain this one last time, a Fuel Injected Rubber mount- will NEVER be a Flattracker ! Nothing about the bike is suitable... not the 580lb weight, not the belt drive, not the 16" rear wheel, not the frame, not the 1200cc engine, not the fuel injection...IE- NOTHING !

Just Ride your 1200 and enjoy it for what it is. If you want to Race Flattrack- BUY a USED Flattrack BIKE ! (preferrably a single)
FYI- in the past few years I've attended approx 40 FT Races at short tracks and long, and not ONCE in any of those races have I even seen an older solidmount Sporty run, granted there may be some still running in the Senior unlimited classes, but I haven't seen them.
No offense Doug, but you're trying to make a silk purse out of a Sows Ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggram View Post
Yesterday I called Storz and talked to Steve himself. He said that racing a rubber mount is still an unknown. Today I talked to Bill Culver at C&J frames and he said they do nothing for rubber mounts. He suggested buying an older bike (i.e. Buell) and starting from there.

Problem is that I've already got this '07 Sportster and don't want to part with it. At least if I Storz it I can get most of my money back after I do my track racing or continue to ride on the street. If I buy a C&J frame, used bike, parts, etc. I'll spend more and what would it sell for?

The bottom line is that all I want to do is have fun. I don't have to win, but I don't want to finish last. I just want to skid around that 3/8 mile track they have here, have some fun and make some more memories.