The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Superbrace
Motor Stage
CV Performance
Energy One Clutches

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th June 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Other Motorcycle Model: 74' honda 750 chop
pucifer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default broken shift rod

hi there my name is aaron. i'm brand new to this thread. i'm thinking of trading my vstar for a 77' ironhead. the guy says it ran well until last year when he broke the shift rod. currently it's stuck in third. he has a new tranny an shift rod for it as well. i'm wondering how easy (or tough) a job it would be to pull it and clutch basket out and slide in the new tranny and rod and maybe more importantly, what special tools i would need. i think i'm somewhat handy as i have replaced pistons/rings and some other internal parts on the old honda 750's, but have never worked on harley or clutch/ tranny for that matter. i do have access to a clymer manuel if i do decided to go ahead and trade for it. i appreciate all your input and look forward to all the great advise i'm sure i'll get for all the questions i'll have if i do decide to tackle an infamous ironhead
thanks