The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Speedway Instruments
Lowbrow Customs
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Icefire is on a distinguished roadIcefire is on a distinguished roadIcefire is on a distinguished road
Default Jockey shift possible?

Just wondering, I have a 75 XLH with the crossover linkage...Has anyone ever tried to convert one of these to some sort of Jockey shift with a handle? maybe with the clutch lever up on the handle to squeeze in while shifting? ....I assume things like the case might get in the way, but ya never know....-Just wondering, it's winter, raining here, and I'm bored....
Keith Black .010 over pistons, Andrews PB+ cams, Accel Supercoil, solid core wires, rejetted Keihin Butterfly carb, S&S air cleaner, Unleaded conversion, valve job, heads bored, new rocker arms, rockers, pushrods, seals, Accel Cyclelite Platinum plugs, Accel 8.8 mm plug wires, Big Boar BB1000 battery, O-ring chain, upgraded handlebar controls,Maxxis tires, GMA front brake, drilled disk, Mustang seat, custom grips, Skull point cover, skull gas cap, RunRoader exhaust pipes, pullback drag bars, etc…
Old 5th January 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTD
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
superwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of light

I put my jockey on my 68 right where it comes out of the case. Still have the stock clutch since I shift with teh right hand. Not sure how it will work yet as it has not been above zero long enough to ride it.
Old 6th January 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: IronHead
Sportster/Buell Year: 75
triton is an unknown quantity at this point

Im curious about the Jockey shifter myself, im also doing a 75 and want a jockey shift with a suicide clutch
Old 6th January 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
xsilencex is an unknown quantity at this point

a friend of mine put a left side jockey shift on his 74, the clutch was on the forward controls not attached to the handle though. He sold the bike a few months ago or i'd offer to snap a few pics.
Old 6th January 2009
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of light

I would guess that it could be done as the trans shifter shaft (say that five time fast) comes out of the right side cam cover. I guess you could cut up a foot shift lever and weld a rod to the splines, then route it up to the tank. You would shift by hand on the right side and clutch by hand on the left. If I am mistaken about the cam cover you could find one that has the hole and bushing for the right side shift. I'm not sure but at least you would not have to do major changes to the transmission, like changing the trap door. It will probably be sloppy but then the 75-78's were terrible to begin with, that's why I switched my 75' back to right side shift.
93 Cubic Inches..3.635 Bore x 4.50 Stroke...Baisley Roller Rockers...Dual Plug Heads Ported With XLR Valves...Chrome Moly Pushrods...Andrews AX Grind Cams .550 Lift...Venolia Pistons...Total Seal Gapless Rings...Balanced S&S Rods & Flywheels...Blitz Steel Barrels...Billet Oil Pump...K&N O2 Sensors...S&S Super E Carb...Crane Fireball Multi Spark Ignition...All Andrews Trans Gears & Shafts...Strociek Billet Trap Door...Barnett Kevlar Wet/Dry Clutch...Motorsport Rear Motor Mount...High Torque Starter...100 Plus HP
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th January 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default Here's an idea I saw on another '74 that's a little cleaner. The...

...guy used his brake crossover shaft, running from right to left side, to route a rod connected to his right-side shifter.
The rod then angled upwards after exiting the crossover shaft on the left side to form the shift handle.

He ran a foot clutch on the left-side forward controls and used a rod & cable combo to operate the rear brake as a straight shot down the right side of the bike from drum to forward controls.
Old 6th January 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Happy Bob is an unknown quantity at this point

Try here for some ideas.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=47879
Old 10th February 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to all

Jockey shifts suck.

and

Why do you think they call them suicide clutches?

They are not manly or cool and were used when 35MPH was hauling ass and there was no one else on the road to run you over.
Old 10th February 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

fire up a bowl, and then a torch and find out.

just be sure to post pics

by the way, putting the clutch lever on the shifter looks gay to me. set up a foot clutch, you'll be much happier
thank god for darwin
Old 10th February 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

There are several threads on jockey shifters here. Just do a search at the bottom of the forum page and you'll find em. I'm gonna do a right side shifter on my bobber with the stock clutch to start. I have the shifter mounting on the tank, going thru to the other side via a brass tube and stainless shaft. May move the clutch to the foot pedal if it works well...

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Know Thy Hog