The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Members Birthdays
Foxcreek Leather
883 Sportster
Bison Motorsports
Progressive Suspension

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 08 1200N
Other Motorcycle Model: '77 KZ1000/ZX6R Hybrid
203Cree is on a distinguished road203Cree is on a distinguished road203Cree is on a distinguished road
Default Any really REALLY smart types here, like engineers?

I have an idea that I want to bounce off other's ears, and it's pretty technical. It's directly related to air cooled motors, and it doesn't exist yet either. And there really isn't a forum that this applies to either, lol. Just something that popped into my head while staring at a turbine engine the other day.

What I'm thinking of is a Liquid to Liquid cooler that would cool the oil and heat the fuel for better atomization. Out there huh?

Anyway, just throwing it out, tryin to see if anyone smarter than me (and I'm pretty smart, lol) has any thoughts on it.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 1st March 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok lets here it
Old 1st March 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, except that hot fuel doesn't produce as much power as cold fuel. That s why racers use fuel coolers on race cars.. or you'll see bags of ice at the track ontop of intake manifolds. or how the numbers really jump when the temps drop..

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 1st March 2009
Know It All

203Cree is on a distinguished road203Cree is on a distinguished road203Cree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 203Cree View Post

What I'm thinking of is a Liquid to Liquid cooler that would cool the oil and heat the fuel for better atomization. Out there huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
Yeah, except that hot fuel doesn't produce as much power as cold fuel. That s why racers use fuel coolers on race cars.. or you'll see bags of ice at the track ontop of intake manifolds. or how the numbers really jump when the temps drop..
Correct. But warmer fuel does improve efficiency. And mostly when they're icing down they're more worried about inlet temps. Cold air will affect power output more so than fuel temperature.

I was thinking of the potential benefits of the cooler oil temps as well. With cylinder temps lower, there's potential to run a bit more timing without worries of detonation and without having to dump in a shit ton more fuel to keep temps down.
Old 1st March 2009
Poser Extraordinaire

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R Stage 0.5
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Cushman Lowrider
Other Motorcycle Model: Briggs & Stratton Chopper
Sleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may have a good idea, without knowing any details that is.
There could be some benefits to running a little cooler oil temps and heating fuel.
How cost efficient is your product, idea, invention, or whatever it is, to produce, market, install, maintain, service and replace?

Old 1st March 2009
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I think you may have a good idea, without knowing any details that is.
There could be some benefits to running a little cooler oil temps and heating fuel.
How cost efficient is your product, idea, invention, or whatever it is, to produce, market, install, maintain, service and replace?
Hard to say having never made one. I'm not even sure the results would be worth the effort really. I guess I'd have to make one and do the data logs on it before I could say one way or another. The design it's self isn't that complicated. One of the side perks of it is your oil capacity would increase a bit as well.

The biggest thing I don't know the answer to is how much oil vs how much fuel you'd have to run thru it to see any kind of measurable temp changes.

Does anyone know the avg oil temps you see during normal riding? I don't have a temp gage on my oil bag, so I'm in the dark on that one.

Also, any idea's on what typical cylinder temps are during normal riding?
Old 1st March 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Would it be worth the cost and complexity? I don't mind water leaking from a leaky radiator, but gas and oil? Ever seen one of those Nascar guys on fire?

Actually, all you'd have to do is make an new carb float bowl with copper tube wrapped and brazed around it for the oil to flow in and out. Then use a regular oil cooler.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 1st March 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post

Hmmm... I always thought that was to keep the beer cold
Old 1st March 2009
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLXR View Post
Would it be worth the cost and complexity? I don't mind water leaking from a leaky radiator, but gas and oil? Ever seen one of those Nascar guys on fire?

Actually, all you'd have to do is make an new carb float bowl with copper tube wrapped and brazed around it for the oil to flow in and out. Then use a regular oil cooler.
That would work well IF I had a carbed bike, lol. I was thinking an aluminum catch can with some AN fittings and some stainless lines. I'm not exactly to the whole design portion yet, just in the concept stage. This is why I posted it though, you guys are making me think a bit already.
Old 1st March 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 203Cree View Post

Correct. But warmer fuel does improve efficiency. And mostly when they're icing down they're more worried about inlet temps. Cold air will affect power output more so than fuel temperature.

I was thinking of the potential benefits of the cooler oil temps as well. With cylinder temps lower, there's potential to run a bit more timing without worries of detonation and without having to dump in a shit ton more fuel to keep temps down.
Sorry, but warmer fuel does not increase efficiency. Warmer fuel is less dense and can lead to detonation and vapor lock.. Cool, dense fuel makes horsepower!

Quote:
From VP Racing’s
Jason Rueckert
Director of
Motorsports Development

The Cool Fuel Jacket is a great idea for racing... The cooler the better...100% of the time. Warm fuel can lead to problems with vapor lock and detonation... A cool, dense fuel charge will always yield more horsepower. Not only will you see an increase in horsepower from the cooler fuel temps, you will also protect your fuel from harmful UV rays. Direct sunlight will degrade your racing fuel quicker than anything else... The Cool Fuel Jacket will provide the means to a cool, consistent, horsepower increasing fuel charge.”
Cool Is better, which is why you'll also see Nitrous racers purge the system prior to launch to get a cool charge in there. Why Barry Grant Fuel systems developed a fuel Cooler like a oil cooler. You're idea is going in the wrong direction..
Know Thy Hog