The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Dead Creek Cycles
Burly
Licks Holiday
Fix My Hog

S&S Cycle
Tags
atf, fluid, gearcase, oil

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2008
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH (ironhead)
Sportster/Buell Year: '77
Other Motorcycle Model: Sold it!!
dabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura about

The oil that was called for in 1975 was a 50 weight motor oil. In 1975 they had ATF, B&M Trick shift, and multi-viscosity motor oils, yet they specified a STRAIGHT WEIGHT MOTOR OIL. The tolerances that were present in the gear backlash, the pitch of the gear teeth, was different than it is in the evo. These things benefit from a little extra "cushion" in the oil film. They got rid of the trap door transmission in 06 I believe, so you have to split the engine cases to get at the tranny. I don't care if it's a rubber mount or solid, an Evo is not an Ironhead. I hope Donny Peterson's tech library is back up soon.
He was writing tech articles when I was in high school. Harley invited him to see and evaluate the TC88 before they unveiled it. He knows these engines.
Old 22nd June 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 75
pitbull_1_us is an unknown quantity at this point

hi JT.I use Castrol 20w50 in the cooler months and switch to Valvoline VR1 sae 60 racing oil when it gets hot.
I also have a 75 which has the transfer valve in the primary..Do not use atf in there.
Old 22nd June 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda VTX 1800 Retro
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Jtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull_1_us View Post
hi JT.I use Castrol 20w50 in the cooler months and switch to Valvoline VR1 sae 60 racing oil when it gets hot.
I also have a 75 which has the transfer valve in the primary..Do not use atf in there.
I epoxied over the transfer valve. It's gone, no worries.

wrenching in my garage with a big stupid grin on my face.
Old 6th May 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as a note.

Years ago [ '93 ]a friend who worked at the Harley dealership told me he ran Dexron ATF in his sportster primary. He said it was the same basic stuff as the HD at the time.
Old 6th May 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
robvas is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't ATF basically a 0-weight oil?
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th May 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to all

I have never seen a Sport-trans lube that was as thin as ATF. A race trans rarely gets more than 1000 miles on it between teardowns and parts that we run for many thousands of miles are tossed over the shoulder. And yes I have run ATF In a 4 speed behind a big block Mopar (it MIGHT have improved shifting and definitely decresed drag), but again that was not recommended for a high mileage application, it was for drag racing.

For a non-racing, longevity focussed application for the Sportster trans/primary lube, it should be gear oil, not hydraulic trans oil.

I think the Formula+ oil is better suited for the newer Sporties (5 speeds) I think it is on the light side for a 4 speed trans, the manufacturing tolerances and gear pitch design are very different.

The correct lube for your primary & trans is Sport Trans Lube.
It is a heavy, high shear, gear oil, with NO friction modifiers (for a happy clutch).

Some of the suppliers are,
Drag Specialties - Gear & Chaincase for Sportster
Bikers Choice - Sport Trans Lube
Bel Ray - Sport Transmission Fluid
Twin Power - Sport Trans Lube
Klotz - Gear & Chaincase for Sportster
RevTech - Gear & Chain

But as with any religious discussion, I would never tell you that is the one true lube.

KY anyone?
Old 6th May 2009
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Wouldn't that be nice!
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki TS125
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
MacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really nice

DO NOT USE GEAR OIL IN YOUR MOTOR!!!!

It isn't heavier-there are two different scales - but the bad thing is that gear oil has sulfur in it. When that combines with the moisture that comes in with crankcase blowby, it forms SULFURIC ACID. Not good for your motor.

ATF is pretty thin; it is full of detergent. We used to flush engines with it.
Old 7th May 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1982
Flame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond repute

ATF fluid should only be used in an emergency. It can get you home, but you need to change it imediately.

Gamertag, PS4: Bikerdude__
Old 8th May 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

I know this an older thread, but it carries some value...

I don't think engine oil and Hypoid gear oil should be mixed. Incompatibility issues, degradation and separation.
Also, why do this? To get your oil up to a thicker grade? If this is the reason, go to a 60 or 70 wt oil. The latter being harder to find, but it can be found.

I had an 64 Dodge Dart with a 225/6 with a bit of a piston slap. Ran 70wt in it and it settled it down... some.

Unless it is extremely hot and arid where you live and ride, a high grade 20w50 or straight 50 will suffice.
Old 8th May 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Holy Slippery Gears, Batman!

ATF in your transmission?

Is this a ploy of the Joker?

Do the sounds, Snap, Crackle, Pop .. give you a clue?

Stay tuned ... same blog, same web site.
Know Thy Hog