The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
excel50 (73), blazer95 (64), mycle1000 (59), Barryn37 (53), QBALL (53), paulieb (52), cfranz (41), BMXATV (40), ravyn3 (35), Texas_Wild, hillpope (32)
DK Customs
DK Customs
Licks Cycles
Biltwell

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

I'd install the V-Twin ratchet plate. I did this on my '78 when I fitted the kicker kit and so far there have been no problems with the teeth engaging: never any slippage when kicking. Although to be honest, I almost never kick start the bike since the electric is so much more convenient.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 4th November 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Hardtail
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
rokdoctor is a jewel in the roughrokdoctor is a jewel in the roughrokdoctor is a jewel in the roughrokdoctor is a jewel in the roughrokdoctor is a jewel in the roughrokdoctor is a jewel in the roughrokdoctor is a jewel in the roughrokdoctor is a jewel in the roughrokdoctor is a jewel in the roughrokdoctor is a jewel in the roughrokdoctor is a jewel in the rough

It's on and moves smoothly!!!

Thanks for all the help guys - especially Eric, your input is invaluable.

Heres a pic for the fun of it.

Old 4th November 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

Congratulations on your kicker install success!! Always happy to help a fellow Ironhead enthusiast.

Eric
Old 3rd February 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Joey-D is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the purpose of the thrust washer? I am having the same problem with my install. Damaged the original bushing when removing it, so I can really try putting it back in. Everything seem too tight when torqued down. I had the shim the large kick gear and now its too tight. Will it loosen or should I torque it less since it has the lock on it? My V-Twin kit didn't come with any kind of directions at all. Trying to install this with my FSM. Got it figured out now, but a little guideness would have been nice. Just kinda stumbled on the fact the starter ratchet actually gets riveted to the clutch shell.
Old 4th February 2010
Biker

I am having a hell of a time lining out the ratcheting plate, drilling holes, riveting it and keeping it in line. Is there any reason I can weld the ratchet plate to the clutch shell? I got the tightness fixed from above, had to use a different shim.
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th February 2010
Biker

I have to line the ratchet gear and clutch shell up, drill holes, rivet it and keep it all lined up. Is there any reason I can weld the ratchet plate to the shell?

I fixed the tightness by shimming it some more.
Old 4th February 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

No real reason you can't weld the ratchet plate onto the clutch basket. There's a special tool that holds all the parts in alignment while you drill and rivet. Rivets also make it easier to replace.

However, I recently discovered my V-Twin rivets had loosened up a bit allowing some slop in the ratchet plate so I welded the plate in 4 places. Each weld is about an inch in length. I ground the welds flush to the ratchet plate to ensure no interference anywhere. If I ever need to replace the ratchet plate I'll just grind off the short welds.

Eric
Old 4th February 2010
Biker

Fantastic. I am really learning a lot doing this kicker install. I have the FSM and ordered the V-Twin kicker kit. Blows my mind the kit didn't come with an instructions at all. Ended up going back and forth between the basic primary break down and the kickstart break down to see what I needed to replace. Got it figured out now. Looking back at it, it was quite simple, but if you have never been inside a primary or ever owned a kickstart bike it makes it quite difficult. I am man enough to admit this one, for instance I didn't know the kicker shaft went behind the transmission in plugged holes. I literally thought it replaced the transmission shaft. Pulled the transmission and then scratched my head. Well, atleast now I know my tranny gears are in good shape. I have taken a bunch of pictures and will upload them when I finish installing the kicker and verify I did it right. No need for the blind to lead the blind.