The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Bison Motorsports
BIKE BUILDER
Get Lowered

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st November 2009
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

So I checked out XLXR's link, what exactly is the difference from the stock one? Any chance you did a side by side comparision photo before installing? That one looks basically the same as the one I have in my bike. I have marked it several times for rotation to tune my Mikuni but never measured the overall rotation.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 21st November 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

They change the cam profile that changes the mechanical leverage between the throttle tube on the handle bars and throttle plate in the carb. In other words, they regrind the ramp the throttle cable is pulled over just before it attaches to the throttle tube.

This mod is very common in the dirt bike world, and is very effective in how the motor jumps into the power curve. Motocross dirt bike riders want the rpm curve to hit hard and come on fast. Harley's are opposite, the lower rpm curve is not affected, but the upper rpm curve comes on quicker.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 21st November 2009
Super Moderator

Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

Weird I just measured the twist on mine...90 degrees exactly and I know mine is the stock HD throttle sleeve.
Old 21st November 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
PistolPete is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashedwards View Post
This is to update my original post. First, I want to thank everybody that replied and gave me direction. Second, I want to tell you what I found out. Most of the sites that list throttles have them for dirt bike applications and thyey
really wouldn't work on a Sportster. The exception to this is the outfit that XLXR found (yeh, the post directly above this ^^) G2 Ergonomics makes replacement throttles that are straight drop-ins for Harley-Davidson. They fit into the stock switch houseing with zero modifications. The reason that I replaced the original throttle was that I had to regrip sometimes to twist it to wide open throttle. The stock throttle rotates 100+ degrees from idle to WOT, this was just a little more than was comfortable for me without rotating my wrist too far forward. G2 offers a throttle that is 90 degrees or less. I'll grant you that a 10 to 12 degree reduction in rotation isn't a whole lot but it did help and it is noticeable. The way that they have it designed is that for the first half of the rotation it is about the same as stock but it ramps up quicker in the second half. So far it has worked well and I do notice the difference when I'm getting on the freeway or pulling away from a stop sign.
I see that they recommend it for 74-06 models, any mods to get it to work on your nightster?
Old 22nd November 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
flashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to behold

Addendum to my addendum: I wish that I had taken a photo of the two throttles side by side because there is a noticeable difference in the way that they are shaped. The throttle fits my '09 Nightster (as to differentiate it from your lowly run of the mill Sportsters because we all know that the parts are not interchangeable) just fine. Somewhere I read that you must remove the stock throttle friction screw to make the G2 throttle to fit... this was true of the older ones...the new ones work with the screw in place. Don't get me wrong, this throttle isn't magic..like I said it only reduced the rotation by 10 degrees...that's not a lot..1/36th of a rotation...on a stock Sportster that's only a fat 1/8th of an inch (3.5 mm). My nephew keeps his Kawa R6 at my place and his throttle only turns 1/5th of a rev...that's 72 degrees...that's almost scary. Anyway, if you have a throttle that is on a newer Sportster (100+ degrees) this replacement isn't that big of a deal...if your throttle turns more, you might want to check these things out. Oh and by the way, the website doesn't show it but they do have grips that look alot like the plain grips that came stock on my scooter.
I hope that this helped some,
Flash

2009 XL1200N Nightster...SE Heavy Breather>SE SP black slip-ons w/modified Cycle Shack baffles>Speedway Instruments MicroTach+>Super Brace>Kriss headlight modulator. Willie G skulls @ gas cap,derby and timer>Misc. black nut and bolt covers>Garage Leathers solo bag>Mustang Vintage 12.5" solo seat>LED taillights>10.75" RK air shocks>G2 Ergonomics Quick Turn throttle>Power Commander V>Giving 10R12 plugs a try.

76 HP X 79 TQ

Ol' Dirtbeard of the Cracked Craniums MC
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd November 2009
Custom Bike Builder

flashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to behold

Since I didn't take photos earlier and I can't now because the camera is 20 miles away, I did the best that I could and traced the profiles of the stock and G2 throttles. What I tried to represent is the difference in the cam profiles... on the stock throttle the pull cable rides on the right side of the profile and the cam is at the 3 o'clock position. The throttle would rotate CCW. On the G2 throttle the cam is much more pronounced so that as it rotates and the cable is lifted by the cam the pull is increased. I hope that I haven't confused anybody further but without a camera this is the best that I could do.

Old 22nd November 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

I assume the arrows indicates the throttle cable that pulls the throttle plate open. The end of the cable is fastened on top where the "S" is Stock and "G" in G2 is.
Old 22nd November 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Lemme see if I can get my hands on a camera in the next day or so...I kinda figured that the profiles of the throttle cams might be confusing and I guess that they are. I'll get some photos and maybe they will clarify things.
Flash
Old 23rd November 2009
Custom Bike Builder

OK, I got hold of a camera but unfortunetly the macro is nonfunctional..so you once again you may have to use your imagination. The throttle barrel made of black plastic is the stock one off of my Sportster. The grey plastic one is the G2 replacement. In the 9 o'clock position is a cam that the throttle cable passes over. The cam profile on the G2 is much larger than the stock one. This is what takes up the cable faster and reduces the needed rotation. I hope that this helps.
Old 23rd November 2009
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashedwards View Post
OK, I got hold of a camera but unfortunetly the macro is nonfunctional..so you once again you may have to use your imagination. The throttle barrel made of black plastic is the stock one off of my Sportster. The grey plastic one is the G2 replacement. In the 9 o'clock position is a cam that the throttle cable passes over. The cam profile on the G2 is much larger than the stock one. This is what takes up the cable faster and reduces the needed rotation. I hope that this helps.
Yeah that helps a ton. Very interesting. Mine only turns 90 degrees but with the hump it seems it would do exactly as it clams and ramp up the speed of the action progressively. Do they offer one that fits under grips?
Know Thy Hog