I decided to pass some winter time with a chop of my tail section to get rid of the big thing sticking out the back. I'm almost finished, so I thought I'd post a couple pics. Made it out of a single piece of sheet metal.
Note to self for future projects...14 gauge stainless steel is very hard to work with using common tools, and WILL ruin all blades and drill bits available at local stores, regardless of their cost or advertised quality/durability.
Beaver Falls, PA
I was looking for 16 gauge, but couldn't find any locally. Also, I have read of similar efforts getting stress fractures when aluminum is used. I figured stainless was my best bet to get strength and avoid rust.
Nice job and you did it yourself Kudos to you for being creative. A few tips for cutting hard metals, use carbise tools if you can find them cut at a slow speed and use lots of lubricant, WD-40 works though it is not made for this.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil