The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
Fix My Hog
DK Customs
Sky Smith Insurance
Licks Cycles

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2005
Biker

philevon has disabled reputation
Default Comments on this 1212 setup???

I have an 05 888L and these are my plans, what do you think?

Nallin 1212 bored cylinders with 10.5:1 Reverse dome pistons
Stock 883 heads
Stock Cams
Hurricane Air Cleaner
RB 2 into 1 prostock pipe
Rejet Carb accordingly

I think this setup should run reliable and have some kick...any thoughts?
Old 13th December 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

It might get like 70 horse on a good day.....but more like 65.
Old 13th December 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by philevon
I have an 05 888L and these are my plans, what do you think?

Nallin 1212 bored cylinders with 10.5:1 Reverse dome pistons
Stock 883 heads
Stock Cams
Hurricane Air Cleaner
RB 2 into 1 prostock pipe
Rejet Carb accordingly

I think this setup should run reliable and have some kick...any thoughts?
Correct on both counts I'd say....

Exactly the setup I'd like.....tho I'll consider porting and polishing the heads, too...

BTW, a stock 1200 Sporty claims 66 hp...this setup will beat that, if only marginally, but more like to the tune of about 70+ HP, I'd guess....never mind the gearing difference...

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 14th December 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Am-hd is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree the heads work would make a big difference, to power , torque and fuel usage. It is worth doing
Old 14th December 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Worth doing?

Certainly..

However, part of this man's requirement was reliability...

The less he does, the more reliable it will be.....fact....

I'd like to hear from some 1212 conversion folks who have been on a dyno....

Even 70 HP seems kinda low to me????
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th December 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Am-hd is an unknown quantity at this point

well I get mid 70's no problem on my bike I have a few extra bits like the heads, but standard pistons , domed pistons would also make a difference
Old 14th December 2005
Biker

philevon has disabled reputation

Well, after talking with a couple of very good engineers in the motorcycle industry...i happen to be a tech at a local hd dealership so i have a few connections. We kinda came along the lines that this setup should be around 80hp. I will explain why. the 1212cc cylinders push 10.5 to 1 compression, the intake has very high cfm air flow, the exhaust is extremely free flowing, now about the heads, 883 heads have smaller ports...true, but smaller ports increase the airflow velocity, so you can have larger ports and draw more air slower or smaller ports and draw less air(not much btw) faster. drawing the air out faster creates a higher vacuum and its like helping the engine run faster drawing the air out of the cylinder. i am betting 78-80hp....dyno runs will follow when im done.

phil
Old 14th December 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice

An 04-06 1200 (1202cc) Stage 1 will make between 70-75 rwhp on the dyno. That is with there stock Buell heads, stock "W" cams and 9.7 CR

BTW ... They make 60-65 rwhp bone stock

What you have is basically a Stage 1 with 10 more CCs, smaller valve heads, smaller "D" cams and 10.5 CR.

My bet is that it will make 67-70 rwhp.

NRHS Stage 2 Heads / NRHS 10.5-1 Thunderstorm Pistons / Zipper's 567 Cams / Mikuni HSR42 Carb
RevTech Roller Rockers / Andrews Adj. Pushrods / RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust / Twin Tec TC88A Ignition
Old 14th December 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm guessing less than 70hp as well. My bike is basically the same with ported 883 heads (stock size valves), 10.5:1 compression, Andrews N4 cams, SE ignition and a Supertrapp 2-1. With alot of tuning, it makes 76hp and 91 ft-lbs of torque.

Chuck