The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > BUELL MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Buell Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Dead Creek Cycles
Lowbrow Customs
Motor Stage
Licks Cycles

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 88
rifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the rough
Default 03 XB9R FIREBOLT ENGINE in SPORTSTER

I have an 88 sportster
looking at putting an 03 xb9r engine in it
will it bolt up?
will the sportster intake manifold fit?
what ignition could I use-stock sportster?
Old 28th March 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

Nice bike. I don't believe bolting right up is going to happen. I would look at some of the frame suppliers for sporties to see where the mounts are located when using an XB motor. Who makes the swingarm you are using?
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.

Last edited by rottenralph; 28th March 2010 at 23:48..
Old 28th March 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 88
rifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the roughrifrafracing is a jewel in the rough

what does bolt into the 88 frame?
I was told the early(up to 03) 1200 lightning engine
cyclone engine?
swingarm is actually an 06 honda cbr 1000,upsidedown
Old 28th March 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

My message was a little disjointed. I meant frame suppliers because I know some of the buell frames take XB engines. I would use a five speed lower end and mate a 1250 to it with XB style heads(1200 after 04). Nrhs Performance sells the 1250 kit and they have a dyno room that will make it evident that a 100+ engine is possible to put in your frame. I am not sure if a rubber mount engine will go right in.

Where is the rear shock hiding?
Old 29th March 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger/Buell XB12S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell 1125CR
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
PuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura about

The 2002 and earlier engines will fit with no major issue. The XB engines have totally different mounting points. It can be done with severely modifying the frame, but the 2002 and earlier engines have 4 bolt holes in the rear where it mounts to the frame. The XB engines do not have this, as they have a swingarm pivot mount in place of the holes.

The Sportster intake manifold will fit.