The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Superbrace.com
883 Sportster
DK Customs
Lowbrow Customs

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 xlc-miss it
Sportster/Buell Year: 00
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB750F
Other Motorcycle Year: 78
bsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant future
Default how much would you pay for my bike??

I know ive talked about selling my sporty lots of times...This time its got to go along with the CBR.Mama needs a new damn car...not brand new...just new to me.I am looking to get a 2005 Subaru WRX.My car is just shot and to be honest I am 32 freakin years old and I am sick of driving a crappy POS.I love cars, they are my life......anyways...im selling the CBR and taking that money and that will almost pay off the loan...Im selling the sporty so I can completely pay off the cbr...depending on how much I get for the sporty, I should be left with about $2000-$3000 for a decent down payment on the car.
Im not selling my pink flamed tank with the bike.I have another tank..and for another $500 I will paint the bike whatever color the buyer wants.
Its just that my bike is kinda custom so I dont know what people would pay for it??? I do have a Lepera seat, the stock fenders, and some other goodies....The bike is an 2002 and it was a xlc...it has 24,620mi.
I hate to get rid of them but honestly I dont ride them much.Tonys Buell was repossesed back in March so Ive lost my favorite riding buddy.I am also really into my Camaro now so Ive kinda lost intrest and I would rather have a nice car to drive.
Tell me what ya'll think...
oh and sorry..id post a pick of my bike but photosuckit isnt letting me view my pics....so if any of yall got a pic of my bike post it up please!

What does cheese say when it gets its picture taken?
Old 23rd May 2010
Custom Bike Builder

bsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant futurebsporty has a brilliant future

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...&id=1459856922
Old 23rd May 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Other Motorcycle Model: GL1800
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Durockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond reputeDurockrolly has a reputation beyond repute

$1,000,000 if you come with it and my wife gives me the O.K.!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 23rd May 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Harley-Davidson
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU (Geezer Glide)
72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice

Search the classifieds, and craigslist and see what the market is like in your area. Oh and you post a pic from your gallery, no?

RIP: Eli
Old 23rd May 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Baphomet has disabled reputation

Something you might want to keep in mind. If you can avoid a large down payment on the new (to you) car you might not need to sell your Sportster.

Take a car that is 10K dollars. If you took out a loan at 7 percent interest over 5 years your payments would be 198 bucks or so. If you put 2000 down on the same loan your payments would be 158 a month. That's only a 40 dollar difference per month and a 1000 down is only a 20 dollar difference a month.

However, if you applied the 2000 down on the same car one a 4 year loan, your payments would be about the same as no down payment on a 5 year loan and you would pay the loan back in 4 years instead of 5.

Sorry I did not answer how much you should sell your bike for. I am just thinking you should try to have your cake and eat it too.
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd May 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 2002 883C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2005 VRSCB
paul618 is just really nicepaul618 is just really nicepaul618 is just really nicepaul618 is just really nicepaul618 is just really nicepaul618 is just really nicepaul618 is just really nicepaul618 is just really nicepaul618 is just really nicepaul618 is just really nicepaul618 is just really nice

I bought a 2002 883C in October for $3500, but its a rust bucket.
If I had known what I know now I would have offered less.

I got a wild hair to discover what the going rate was in March and collected 49 bikes listed
on the web and wrote a little program to discover the averages. This might be worthless data,
bc we dont know the condition of these animals and there is supposedly a big variability by
location -- and other variables. Bottom line is everybody is asking ~$5000 -- on the average
-- regardless of milage, which is weird...

for 1999-2004 883s.

Code:
    howmany | mi range | avg year | avg miles | avg price
883: n=7     0-3999    2003.4     2245 miles   $5200    
883: n=10  4000-7999   2002.3     6201 miles   $4790    
883: n=15 8000-11999   2002.9     9485 miles   $5045    
883: n=7 12000-15999   2002.1    13788 miles   $4900    
883: n=5 16000-19999   2003.4    18709 miles   $4980    
883: n=3 20000-23999   2001.3    22288 miles   $5333    

total n=47    2002.7    10147 miles $5003
Better data can be collected on ebay by searching for completed sales.

Last edited by paul618; 23rd May 2010 at 22:38.. Reason: formatting
Old 23rd May 2010
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C (for sale)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R (headed to FL?)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FXD Super Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

Got no idea on price, but here are your pics (hopefully)

Old 23rd May 2010
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS 750 L
Other Motorcycle Year: 81
thatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud of

No idea on price... Just h8 2 c it go.
Old 23rd May 2010
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell Cyclone M2
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Cafe Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883 Sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
zenfrogmaster is on a distinguished roadzenfrogmaster is on a distinguished roadzenfrogmaster is on a distinguished roadzenfrogmaster is on a distinguished roadzenfrogmaster is on a distinguished road

If you have to sell it, put it back as close to stock as you can. You'll probably get the same money for the bike either way, and it will sell faster. Then, sell the flat track seat and other parts separately, or save them for your next build.
Old 24th May 2010
Custom Bike Builder

hmmm...Baphomet...you make a good point about the down payment.Im not so sure that my credit is awesome though.Unfortunately the CBR is not nearly worth enough for me to satisfy the full loan amount.I bought that bike for roughly $10,000.I still owe 9 somethin and the bike is only going for about $7,000 at most on ebay.The Sporties are goin for bout $5000 but my bike is nowhere near stock and the average person lookin for a sporty I dont think would want my bike so I got a small market.It would be nice to keep it but I cant... :-(
I bought my sporty for $8000 used by the second owner.It is VERY clean and well taken care of.
Thanks Brad for posting the pics...she is such a pretty bike...
Its time to grow up a lil...dont have much of a choice here.Having a reliable car is really important..I will still have plenty of toys...my F350...my Camaro will be done soon..and the WRX aint no grandma ride!!!!!!LOL!!!!You will just have to take me for a ride if I want to get out there! LOL LOL!
Know Thy Hog