The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Biltwell
Licks Cycles
NRHS Performance Long 2
Energy One Clutches

Burly
Tags
1250, 2004 xl 1200r heads, conversion, heads

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Dr. is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptotoole View Post
I converted my 1997 883 sportster to 1250 a couple of years ago. I put on Buell thunderstorm heads(without extra porting), harley screaming eagle bolt in cams, SE air filter assembly and (at first) SE mufflers on the original exhaust system. That assembly had great torque and acceleration up to about 75mph, when everything went flat for a while then began a slow acceleration.

I tried different things, then replaced the original exhaust with baffled straight pipes. That got rid of the flat spot, but top end is ????. HOWEVER, I get pinging whenever I crank too much on the throttle in higher gears.

Presently, the bike has great torque, is not great at top end, and (with a recently installed mikuni carb??) gets close to 50 miles per gallon. But still pings when twisting too hard on that throttle in high gear.

So, that's my experience so far with a 1250 conversion. But, at my age, 66, the end of my thirty some years of biking is closing in.

Pat

Thanks Pat for that it is actually very helpful. What size cams did you put in?

Dr.
Old 22nd August 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C/ 1250 convert
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
jollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura about

I JUST installed the 1250 kit on my '06 883C. The bike came with SE2 slip-ons and I put on an AN Big Sucker. While I've never rode anything more powerful than what I have now, just putting the jugs and pistons on seemed to give it a real kick in the nuts.

Granted I'm not done with the break-in yet (which is killing me), so I can't speak on how the topend is, but the lowend is awesome.
Old 23rd August 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Thanks Pat for that it is actually very helpful. What size cams did you put in?

Dr.
He said he used SE bolt-in cams. They're .497" lift - identical to Andrews N4's.
Old 23rd August 2010
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Hi Dr. I see it's your first post. Hello from Pittsburgh and welcome to the XLForum.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 23rd August 2010
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelworker View Post
He said he used SE bolt-in cams. They're .497" lift - identical to Andrews N4's.
Okay... right missed that as well... thanks Jolly, Bob and all, nice to have those who have been down this road take the time to get me going in the process.

So, far what I am hearing is the best fit for .497 cams is porting and clean up 883 heads up to stage 1 and the XL1200R maybe up to stage 1 but too much head will possibly cause some engine issues or mismatch troubles.

With stock cams D grind what is the best improvement match and how much head work can I have without causing major issues ... I really think this answer would benefit a lot of beginners wanting a 1250 HIGH!

Thanks Dr.
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd August 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR-1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1984
jessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nice
Default Listen to the T man

I would just go with stock 1200R heads like the ones NRHS sells. Perfect match for the SE 497/N4 cams. No additional porting needed. If, you were going to run a hotter cam like a 536, THEN it would be advantagious to port as you would get more power.

So, save your money and spend it wisely. I would not waste any money on 883 heads. Better spent on the 1200R heads from NRHS. Think about this; The Buell Thunderbolts came with 497 cams AND thunderstorm heads. I do not need to tell you how well those ran.

Like Mr T said, he , Terp1984alum, myself and others have gotten 90+ HP using stock Thunderstorm and/or 1200R heads using SE 536 cams. So, if we can do that, you can make great power and torque as well with your combination using the stock 1200R heads and 497 cams.

2002 XL1200S "The Black Beauty" NRHS 1250 kit CI, NRHS Stage 1 TS heads dual plugged, NRHS Hurricane Air Filter, SE 536 cams, Rich Products Thunder header, 42 Mikuni, Daytona Twin Tec ignition w/ Dyna coils. 97.4 HP, 85.5 Torque 1984 XR-1000 S&S Crank/rods w/windage tray, Vision Grinding Cylinders, Arias 11:1 compression pistons, Andrews XR-1000-1 cams, Baisley modified dual plugged heads, Rich Products Thunder header, 38mm Delortos, Daytona Twin Tec ignition w/ Dyna coils. (the never ending project but, got a 66 Barracuda drag car sucking up all the funds and time)
Old 23rd August 2010
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessearias View Post
I would just go with stock 1200R heads like the ones NRHS sells. Perfect match for the SE 497/N4 cams. No additional porting needed. If, you were going to run a hotter cam like a 536, THEN it would be advantagious to port as you would get more power.

So, save your money and spend it wisely. I would not waste any money on 883 heads. Better spent on the 1200R heads from NRHS. Think about this; The Buell Thunderbolts came with 497 cams AND thunderstorm heads. I do not need to tell you how well those ran.

Like Mr T said, he , Terp1984alum, myself and others have gotten 90+ HP using stock Thunderstorm and/or 1200R heads using SE 536 cams. So, if we can do that, you can make great power and torque as well with your combination using the stock 1200R heads and 497 cams.
Cool! I think that is what I am going to do then.. can't wait! There is the matter of sealing the deal with the one installing it... he said huge discount when summer ends... probably can't wait... Dr.