The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
DK Customs
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd February 2005
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki Bandit 1250N
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
Mechano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dynojet emulsion tube and pilot jet

I've mounted the Screaming Eagle Dynojet kit on my '04 XL1200C togheter with a teardrop S&S style AC for CV carb.
I was searching for a 45 pilot jet but the dynojet kit instructions say to use the stock 42 with an air screew position of 3,5 turns out.

The Screeming Eagle Dynojet kit is produced by Dynojet but with Harley Screaming Eagle brand. Outside it there's written 96-up FX-XL. It's not for XL models only.
Into the instructions there's explicit referring to the XL '04-up models where it's not necessary to mount some of the hardware provided into the kit (something related with the float bowl and its fuel hoose.

There's an emulsion tube and lot of jets from 160 to 200 with 10 points steps.
The Dynojet emulsion tube is a bit different from the stock one. It puts the main jet at a different position.
Maybe the reason is because the keihin jets and Dynojet jets are different. The hole is in a different position, and there's a different flowing cone inside on both side.
If I use a Dinojet jet on stock emulsion tube the jet hole results few millimeters under the fuel level.

Another important difference between the stock emulsion tube and the Dynojet one is the holes number and positions. The Dynojet tube has only 2 small holes in the lower side. The stock tube has many more disposed for the whole length.

Into my bike I've found stock a 160 main jet and 42 pilot. So I've changed the 160 with the 170 provided by the kit togheter with the emulsion tube.
Left stock the pilot jet and turned the air screew 3,5 turns out.

After warming with the teardrop AC and it's good air flow the idleing has a rich mixture, I can see a bit of black smoke and I feel that particular richness sent of the exhaust gases.
I can also close the choke when the engine is still cold and the engine has some hesitations but doesn't turn off, I was not able to reduce or close chocke before mount the Dynojet kit.

I went to visit a friend of mine who sell car exhausts and we checked with his instruments, and I was right, rich mixture.

Now I've closed 1/2 turn the air screew (going to 3 turns out) and trying, it seems a bit better but I think it's still a bit rich.

The emulsion tube is an important component for providing the right mixture emulsion.
The better is emulsionated the mixture the better it burns and delivers power. So I don't understand why this Dynojet tube has so little holes.

I still don't know if the mileage is better or at almost the same. From it depends lot of the mods I'm going to do to this carburetor. The purpose is good power delivery at acceptable mileage.

And this kit seems not well fine tuned...

Last edited by Mechano; 3rd February 2005 at 14:30..