The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Speedway Instruments
Foxcreek Leather
Bison Motorsports
Energy One Clutches

S&S Cycle
Tags
1973, ironhead, rebuild, sportster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th January 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
dc45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New 73' Ironhead project (and introduction)

Hey,

Just picked up my first project bike, a 73 Sportster XLH. Transmission was stuck in gear (shifter also missing, which could have something to do with it) and cam cover was unbolted...I bought it off of someone who had got it from an estate sale, so I dont have much info. Cams look good, took off primary cover and clutch looks brand new (nice and shiny, lockwashers look really fresh).

What should I do first as far as figuring out what kind of work the engine needs? I've stripped everything else off the bike, most of which looked original. Bike has about 28k on it. Should I start a top end rebuild or try to get her running first as is? I'm assuming I have to get into neutral first to start with the electric start (no kick on the xlh). I am very much a newb, so I appreciate any help. I'd like to do as much work myself as I can, so if I dont need to do any bottom end work, that would be great.

Thanks!

Clint