The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > REGIONAL FORUMS > United States of America > Great Plains > South Dakota
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
RYCA Motors
DK Customs
Figure Machine

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ZYBAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Aussie comeing to Sturgis

Hello, as per the heading i am planning on coming over to the States for Sturgis this year & was after any & all advice on how to go about it, I am planning on either flying into N.Y. or L.A & making my way from there, I would like to meet as many people as possible & wanted to use public transport to make my way there.
I will be traveling on my own so am fairly flexible as this is my trip away from the wife & kids as they have no interest in spending a week surrounded by bikes.
I suppose the big thing will be Accommodation & what to avoid i.e rip offs regarding eateries & the like any help tips would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Larry
Old 19th February 2011
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

Are you planning to stay in Sturgis during the rally? If so, work on the accommodations now. Are you renting a car/bike?
Old 19th February 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ZYBAN is an unknown quantity at this point

That was what i was was wondering about, is it better (cheaper) to travel into events each day ???, Car hire.
Old 20th February 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 94
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 03
Flamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura about

there's a multitude of options as to where to stay. from rapid city to deadwood to several other small surrounding towns. I like the campgrounds and camp out the Buffalo chip especialy it's like 3 miles east of sturgis Has it's own party and vendors as well as 9 big concerts right now the price is $285 for the 1-14 $225 for the 6-14 all the big concerts start on hte 6 they do have smaller bands earlier. I'd definantly look into renting a bike now probably be cheaper to reserve 1 now from a dealer that rents em from some outlying place say 100 miles or so away and then ride in you definantly want something to ride while your there there are several really cool rides up there. Needles Hiway, Iron Mountain Road, Spearfish Canyon AND tons more ride maps are available everywhere. Last year I met a guy from OZ that was over here for 3 months He actually bought a bike and was sellin it when he left. the chip also has a deal where theyll rent you all the camping gear I think its outragous at $600. you could run into rapid city and go to cabellas (an outdorsman outlet ) and probably buy everything for $150-200 and just give to somebody or trash it when ya leave. they also have a wallmart in spearfish about 5 miles west of sturgis and a pamida in sturgis that you could get a tent an air mattress and sleeping bag at. I always get a pillow there and just give it away when I leave
SE ac, SE bolt in cams
CS tapered cut exhaust
Old 20th February 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 94
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 03
Flamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura about

forgot here's the link to the chip
http://www.buffalochip.com/
Glencoe campground
http://www.glencoecamp.com/
full throttle saloon has cabins for rent no idea on price
http://www.fullthrottlesaloon.com/

literally dozens of other places but these are some of the big name places
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th February 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

F.w.I.W., checking the X L Forum riders map will give you an idea who is located where, be sure to add yourself as no one is on it yet from "down under".
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing
Old 20th February 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
F.w.I.W., checking the X L Forum riders map will give you an idea who is located where, be sure to add yourself as no one is on it yet from "down under".
I'm surprised you didn't have him fly into Metro airport and we would ride with him there...

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD