The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > BUELL MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Buell Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Fix My Hog
DK Customs
Biltwell
CV Performance

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 mustang 302hipo
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: sporty in pieces
risotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the rough

go to home depot and get a screw stripped remover (or some such shit) drill bit they remove all problem torx
Old 18th May 2009
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
tfarmer49 has disabled reputation

Just went through this myself. Timing chain inspection cover was leaking. A wise forumite suggested replacing the cheesy rubber gasket with the paper/metal sandwich one. Part # 34761-04A. The $2 gasket came in a kit with the gasket and slightly redesigned inspection cover. $23 - ouch. While I was at it I decided to change the tranny/primary fluid to Red Line 75/90. The derby cover gasket had me stressed out until I put a little permatex on the back of it to hold it in place. I then tried torqueing the torx 27s in accordance with the manual. Two of them stripped (the torx heads, not the threads) before I reached the torque. Grrrrrrrrrr. I went and bought some 1/4 -20 allen head machine screws and replaced all six cause I was worried about uneven torque on the derby cover. This time I let the torque wrench sit and torqued them all by feel with the allen wrench. Now I'm happy. My sporty's got new oil, the oil is staying inside the case, and I'm satisfied My primary/tranny will be good for another 4000 miles or so.
Old 26th September 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
blackandtan21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was able to pop the stuck torx bolts off by dremeling a slot into them and then placing a screwdriver into the slot and tapping with a hammer. When I buttoned everything up I used engine assembly oil to keep the derby cover o-ring in place. This seemed to work great.
Old 26th September 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
DaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond repute

Blue Loctite is your friend!!! And dont spare it either.

Air shock information thread
Old 3rd October 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
SFRoadster is just really niceSFRoadster is just really niceSFRoadster is just really niceSFRoadster is just really niceSFRoadster is just really niceSFRoadster is just really niceSFRoadster is just really niceSFRoadster is just really niceSFRoadster is just really niceSFRoadster is just really niceSFRoadster is just really nice

Just had the same experience with a stripped Torx screw on the derby cover. Didn't tilt the bike upright so I lost a couple of ounces of fluid. My new Rule #1: Check the Forum before starting any project. Duh!
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd October 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
PilotCrabby is a name known to allPilotCrabby is a name known to allPilotCrabby is a name known to allPilotCrabby is a name known to allPilotCrabby is a name known to allPilotCrabby is a name known to allPilotCrabby is a name known to allPilotCrabby is a name known to allPilotCrabby is a name known to allPilotCrabby is a name known to allPilotCrabby is a name known to all

Hmmm just took the Derby cover, Timing chain inspection plate, Primary cover, and the crankcase cover. I only messed up on bolt, but I managed to strip the threads on the bottom derby cover bolt.