The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Nightrider, jim wiseman (63), gone2dalake (61), bobzimm (58), JMan (47), csaintg (45), tinydawg (43), B.Curvin (43), eskiv (34), 05bluesportster (33), joka646 (30)
Progressive Suspension
Sky Smith Insurance
Fix My Hog
Lowbrow Customs

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Forty Eight
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
sporty4t8 will become famous soon enoughsporty4t8 will become famous soon enoughsporty4t8 will become famous soon enoughsporty4t8 will become famous soon enoughsporty4t8 will become famous soon enoughsporty4t8 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigmri View Post
What tuner do you recommend and how much do they run?

Craig
I'm currently looking at getting a PowerVision for my 2011 48. I did a custom exhaust build and modded the air cleaner cover in addition to changing to a K&N filter, so I new it was going to need a tune. There is a huge topic in here all about tuning, whittlebeast started it and there are a lot of experienced tuners that have posted their experiences with the Dynojet PV. It looks like an awesome tuner and should be pretty easy to work with once you get everything setup right. Runs a little expensive (around $500 from Jamie at Fuel Moto), but to tune your bike yourself and make sure it's done right, absolutely seems worth it.
Old 13th January 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo XL Sidecar
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
JasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Jason, thanks for your reply. I'm assuming only a dealer can do this or could I do myself if I have an aftermarket fuel control module?

Craig
Usually the dealer tech can't do it via a simple reflash unless the factory has provided them with a updated ecu program.

Fuel controllers or dfo's won't correct the program. They will just add or remove fuel everywhere so chances are you will just move the problem or will hide one to find another.

Get a tuner that is a reflash tuner...like a super tuner, pv, or tts....something you can really fine tune and feed directly into the ecu...they are not just tuners. They are also great diag tools, something that should be in every efi guys box if he/she is gonna work on the bike themselves...

The o2 eliminators, pot fuel controllers and cheap add on electronics to change fuel are band aides, dealer reflash is closer, actual real tuning always trumps them all

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
Old 14th January 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: BIG DOG
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Iron head Sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
A_Ride_4_ever is an unknown quantity at this point

If the bike sat that long, a new set of plugs and a quick check for exhaust leaks is probably all you need if the bike is stock. I have the 08 1200R and it had the same symptomatic issues even when driven daily. I changed my plugs to the SE high temp and that got rid of my burping at idle and for the most part on deceleration. If the bike has any stage 1 kit on it, AF or pipes it will need a reflash for the most part, some haven't needed it but of the 2 1200r's in my house both did. I went with a PC III non California model, got rid of the 02's and the bike has been spot on and much more responsive than it was with the HD flash. A tuner is only really necessary if you make enough changes to cause the bike to run lean/rich. Dynojet's newest tuner is just bad a$$, i picked one up a month ago and haven't regretted it a bit. I do a lot of tinkering so I needed a tuner, if you think your going to want to change some stuff around and like squeezing all the bike has then you might also want to consider a tuner. If your leaving is stock just go with a dealer flash.

Quote:
Hey guys, new around here. I just purchased a 2007 XL1200R with only 2,800 miles. The bike sat unused for the last two years. The bike starts fine but when its cold and I give it any throttle she spits or pops a little. Only does this when cold. I've read this entire thread and wonder if I need to bring it to Harley for a re-flash to new version mapping. Since the bike is out of warranty, what can I expect to pay for this service and is this a potential fix?

Craig
Old 14th January 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo XL Sidecar
JasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ride_4_ever View Post
If the bike sat that long, a new set of plugs and a quick check for exhaust leaks is probably all you need if the bike is stock. I have the 08 1200R and it had the same symptomatic issues even when driven daily. I changed my plugs to the SE high temp and that got rid of my burping at idle and for the most part on deceleration. If the bike has any stage 1 kit on it, AF or pipes it will need a reflash for the most part, some haven't needed it but of the 2 1200r's in my house both did. I went with a PC III non California model, got rid of the 02's and the bike has been spot on and much more responsive than it was with the HD flash. A tuner is only really necessary if you make enough changes to cause the bike to run lean/rich. Dynojet's newest tuner is just bad a$$, i picked one up a month ago and haven't regretted it a bit. I do a lot of tinkering so I needed a tuner, if you think your going to want to change some stuff around and like squeezing all the bike has then you might also want to consider a tuner. If your leaving is stock just go with a dealer flash.
You're thinking that the bike has an exhaust leak and that is why it has a lean backfire through the intake only when cold?...

Old 14th January 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
whittlebeast has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ride_4_ever View Post
I do a lot of tinkering so I needed a tuner, if you think your going to want to change some stuff around and like squeezing all the bike has then you might also want to consider a tuner. If your leaving it stock, just go with a dealer flash.
The dealer reflash is never a reasonable option. Save your money for a PV.

Beast
traction or wheelie limited acceleration, a sound that just drips testosterone or peace of mind that
everything is as perfect as you know how to make it.

When the racers get done doing the impossible the engineers get a chance to correct the errors in the model.

***My other addiction, running Megasquirt EFI ***
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th January 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: BIG DOG
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Iron head Sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
A_Ride_4_ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSarratt View Post
You're thinking that the bike has an exhaust leak and that is why it has a lean backfire through the intake only when cold?...

yes in a nutshell, that's what I am thinking, perhaps not a leak in the intake but excess fuel being popped off when it hits the cooler air from the exhaust leak. Hotter plugs would burn more of the fuel all around, the other was if it actually sat w/o being run at all the O2's could be mucked up, it would have been blown out after running it for a bit so it being consistent would make me think it was an exhaust leak. I'm not a fan at all of the dealer flash I see in my post I used reflash as a blurb for a tuner.
Old 15th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1200c
dancoult is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All I have a 07 1200C. My has been doing this for awhile. There are days it does not do it at all and then ther are days it will do it when the bike is cold in the mourning when I leave for work and when I get out of work it does it again. I have found out that some time when cleaning my bike or change the oil filter and move the wire going to the crank sensor my bike will not start at all I have to move the wire again it will start right up. So I do not know if that something to do with that or not.Ihope that helps
Old 20th August 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough

So it sounds like you have the classic "Cold Start Stumble" and a bad wire, but I wouldn't think either are related to the others symptoms.
Old 30th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: HD 1200XLC
BikerBones89 is just really niceBikerBones89 is just really niceBikerBones89 is just really niceBikerBones89 is just really niceBikerBones89 is just really niceBikerBones89 is just really niceBikerBones89 is just really niceBikerBones89 is just really niceBikerBones89 is just really niceBikerBones89 is just really niceBikerBones89 is just really nice

im just now stumbling across this thread.. im probably hella late and i skip about 48 pages lol.. but i got an 09 1200 Custom with upgraded rineharts and it supposedly has the Eagle stg 1 tune for it and in 100degree weather it still putters at start up... i thought that only happened on carbed bikes at below 50 degree weather lol.. i was givin my bike some crazy looks when it first did it.. anyone find out the reasoning behind it? or i should prob just go back and read some more huh?

Ok so i actually read a few more pages and found some answers...pretty much for me ill live with it and let my bike get its coughs out cuz the closes dealer that i trust is in austin about 70 miles away from me and im not doing the run around from here and there for that. call me lazy, but its too far for my pockets and time...

Last edited by BikerBones89; 30th August 2012 at 18:25.. Reason: actually made it to page 13
Old 30th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
BillyBob48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all - new here.

2011, 48 - I just found this thread, found out I'm not alone, and HD's problems have not been fixed as of 2011. My 48 is completely stock and I've experienced this phenom several times now. I leave early in the morning, temperatures are usually in the mid 50's or low 60's, and my 48 will stumble after I leave my driveway. I usually drive 1/4 mile to the freeway and it does not stumble after I get on the freeway. It's not a big deal, but it is a little bothersome right before I get on the freeway.

I plan to Stage 1: SE a/c, Rush slip-ons, PV tuner. Hopefully, that solves the stumble.
Know Thy Hog