The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle Talk Sleek, fast and cool. Discuss your Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
Lowbrow Customs
Fix My Hog
Zippers Performance

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Flat Track Racer
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RIP 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
A 4 liter V8 eater has disabled reputation
Default What 7-spoke or less mag wheels fit an evo Sportster?

I am looking for a set of 18" rear, 19" front mag wheels. Will all the old Morris's bolt in or do I have to look for a specific set? I've heard that there are differences between drum brake wheels and disc brake wheels. What should I be looking for? Are there modern/repro equivalents?

-JR

Link to thread on "Harley Racing" events across the country: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=53470

These events include Hillclimbing, Flat Track Racing, Ice racing, Drag Racing, etc.. They are all sports dominated by Harley Davidsons. They are always located in scenic areas and are great weekend rides. The above link allows XLforum users to coordinate riding to these events together.
Old 1st February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

The hub on drum brake wheels is completely different to the hub of a disc brake wheel. They are certainly not interchangeable. Old Morris mags intended for disc brakes could possibly be made to fit, but may need machining to fit modern size bearings / wheel spindle.

What year bike are these to go on?

Dymag are producing 3-spoke magnesium wheels again, but they'll be lots of £££/$$$, and you'd have to check with them what diameter / rim widths are available.
Old 1st February 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Flat Track Racer
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RIP 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
A 4 liter V8 eater has disabled reputation

It will go on a 2002 XL
Old 1st February 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S2T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
maru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud of

Real Morris wheels bring big money today if the owner has any clue what they are worth. They made them for a large variety of bikes and while they all can be made to fit, many will not bolt on. KimTab made a snowflake Magnesium wheel back in the day and Dymag had their 3 spoke. Morris also made some of their wheels in Aluminum I think, but I could be wrong on that.

Some of the Kawasakis in the late 70's early 80's came with an aluminum wheel that looked a lot like a Morris wheel. While these will not be a bolt up, they could be adapted to fit and they would be muuuuuuuuuuuch cheaper than a vintage Mag wheel. Another thing to consider, they are much less likely to have cracks, something to worry about with a 30 year old true Mag wheel.

Performance machine made wheels for the Sportster that were popular with the Flat Track crowd. While a very different look than a Morris, they would look nice on your Tracker.
Old 2nd February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame that PM stopped making the spun aluminium 3-spoke wheels in favourites of the blingy billet multi-spoke wheels they currently make for trackers.
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd February 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell RS1200/5
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Hayabusa
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Buellbomb has disabled reputation

Old style disc brake mags will work, but not bolt on.
I put a 19/18 combo on my bike. The front wheel almost bolted on, except for the brake rotors. The center hole was too small, so I had them milled out a little. Then they did bolt on, spacers and all.
The rear was a little more involved as I was changing to chain drive at the same time. But even then, it was just a matter of shimming the brake rotor and sprocket to line them up in their respective places. My '98 has 3/4 axles, too.

Yours has 1" axles though, so you'll have to get new bearings and the spacers between them to make the switch. Not a hard job.

Those old wheels are heavy.

Old 2nd February 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S2T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
maru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud of

LOL, yes crazy heavy. You bike looks great with the wheels, nice job. Steve
Old 3rd February 2012
Flat Track Racer

sportxlh has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellbomb View Post
.......My '98 has 3/4 axles, too. Yours has 1" axles though, so you'll have to get new bearings...... htt

are you sure about that? I am pretty sure that the 1 inch axles did not start until the rubber mount era: maybe 2005 or so. The 2000-2003 bikes used sealed bearings but the axles are still 3/4. (I put 2000-2003 sealed bearing wheels on my 1997: rear axle was the same part number as the pre-2000 and the front axle was slightly different but still 3/4". Different spacers were needed and the hole/bore in the middle of the disk brakes and rear pulley is also different: the flange on the 2000-2003 is a different size to accomodate the larger od of the sealed bearing)..... Wouldn't want 4 Liter going out to buy the wrong wheel or bearings......
Old 3rd February 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell RS1200/5
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Hayabusa
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Buellbomb has disabled reputation

Nope, not sure at all. Thanks for clearing it up.