The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Members Birthdays
Dead Henry (70), iustabfast (63), dcinpa (61), jwursta (61), G-TIFF (59), TexasHarley (59), CROW (57), Darrell (56), dotom, H34TH3N (55), TessArooo
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th November 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Curtis_J is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauruck View Post
So you're in Canada!!!! As long as you're not a Newfie or a Quebeqois
Just caught onto this thread, have to say I'm impressed, with everything BUT the Newfie joke! Hahahaha, just kidding bud. 26 years on the rock, so I've heard 'em all before. There's lots of things to poke fun at when it comes to Newfoundland, but as long as it's in humor, it's all good. After-all, we are known for being friendly, so lets hope we can laugh at ourselves sometimes!

Either way, I'll be subscribing to this thread, really admiring the work you're doing and can't wait to see the finished product.

Old 5th March 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 86 Sporty
tauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the rough

Hey Curtis, Thanks. Great pic. That place looks cool. Hey, I live in Africa. If you can't laugh at that..... It's all good though, Lol.
Old 5th March 2012
Chief Know It All

tauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the roughtauruck is a jewel in the rough

Sorry I haven't been around. Had one or two minor hiccups over here. I haven't worked on my bike for months. The rear hub problem has put the project on hold. The nice hub I had was actually for a front wheel with provision for bolting on a disc on one side. We put it on the lathe and used the dividing head to drill and tap the other side. It came out perfect and I fitted the 1" bearings with no problem at all.
I built the frame for a 1" rear axle and everything was fine, I had the hub coated and took everything to Allan to lace the wheel but he couldn't get it done with the spokes I supplied. I then took 2 more sets of spokes to the coaters and we tried those. No joy. The spoke angle is the problem so I found 2 more rear hubs but they're both 3/4" axle versions. One doesn't have enough material around the bearing collar so the 1" bearings won't work. The other one has problems too.
We made two collars for the hub and we'll press fit them over the 3/4" bearing housings and Tig weld the circumferences. After that we'll bore out the original bearing collars to take the 1" versions. My buddy forgot to get the chrome off the surfaces so I'm sending the hub for sand blasting before I can weld. Then after that I can have it coated and get it laced. To just bore the original collars would have left too little material around the bearing. That's where I am on this build.
There's a company over here that makes billet wheels and the guy offered to manufacture me a set of wheels just to promote his brand. He was even going to produce the front wheel with the hub in it for my drum brake. I didn't go for it because I want spokes. Sometimes I create problems for myself.
This hub story is all because of my location. Africa. I can't go down to my local swop meet or bike shop for a hub. To go to the stealership "again" would be trouble and I can't afford to buy a hub at those prices. The again bit ended in a physical thing with a "suit" who didn't see the need to wait his turn in the queue at the parts counter. I'm no longer welcome at HD!.
It will all work out in the end I suppose.
How the mighty have fallen. I was earning 300 bucks an hour doing what I do and business got so bad I couldn't even afford to buy my usual data bundle. I haven't been around due to my financial situation, that's the truth. My Danish bud came to the rescue and offered me a job with him. I now earn 300 a day, lol. I work my fingers to the bone and I'm exhausted when I get home. I haven't worked for a boss since the 80's. I'm toughing it out and I love it. There are a few things in the pipeline though and i'm positive. Go well guys, I've missed you all. God Bless.
Old 5th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1982
Flame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond repute

I was just thinking about you the other day, and was wondering what happened to you. I don't look at carbon fiber or even homemade fiberglass projects without thinking of your handiwork. I pray things get better for you, and I'm glad you stopped by to give us an update. Stay strong, brother!

Gamertag, PS4: Bikerdude__
Old 5th March 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
etrigan is a jewel in the roughetrigan is a jewel in the roughetrigan is a jewel in the roughetrigan is a jewel in the roughetrigan is a jewel in the roughetrigan is a jewel in the roughetrigan is a jewel in the roughetrigan is a jewel in the roughetrigan is a jewel in the roughetrigan is a jewel in the roughetrigan is a jewel in the rough

Hey dude, what a decent job!!
Can't wait to see it finished.
Congratulations!
Old 11th March 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 67
Other Motorcycle Model: KTM 450 SXF
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
DeWind2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an awesome build man-keep at it!
Old 27th March 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
beto_a is a jewel in the roughbeto_a is a jewel in the roughbeto_a is a jewel in the roughbeto_a is a jewel in the roughbeto_a is a jewel in the roughbeto_a is a jewel in the roughbeto_a is a jewel in the roughbeto_a is a jewel in the roughbeto_a is a jewel in the roughbeto_a is a jewel in the roughbeto_a is a jewel in the rough

Hello from Brazil!
I've just finished going trough this thread and I'm amazed by your skills.
I also live in a country that makes it very hard to customize bikes, everything costs three to four times the original price and things takes forever to arrive.
If you ever decide to make a carbon tank for 2004 up Sportys I'll be more than happy to buy one. I bet that if you start a business to sell your parts online you will have a great demand.
Keep up the great work!
Sponsored Links
Old 9th June 2012
Chief Know It All

I'm sorry I haven't been around for a while but I made some sort of progress. My front wheel is coated, laced and I had a new Avon Venom tyre fitted. I'm waiting for the rear hub to come back from powdercoat and we'll get the sucker built. I tried all sorts of moves on the rear hub that never worked so I machined the hub to take bearings for the 1" axle. That's the route I should have taken in the first place. I'm my own worst enemy all the time. I'll post pics of my rolling chassis next weekend but here's two of the front wheel.

\
Old 9th June 2012
Chief Know It All

Some pics of my failed attempt at the Carbon cam box cover I tried. I've got the process right now so as soon as I set up the tooling neccessary I'll do the "Good" one. In my trade the first example never seems to be right. As soon as I rustle up some Carbon I'll post pics of Proto #2. I've really missed you guys but stuff happened and bucks were short, I had to get a day job for the first time since 1986 and the last thing on the list was buying very expensive airtime from the "thieves" over here. Getting paid per day what I used to earn per hour. He He He!!!!, but a man must bite the bullet and go to work. I love it and it makes a nice change taking mommy's great lunches with me to work. Add a two liter Coke to the mix and I'm set. Twisting handles on the lathe, welding and doing all sorts of cool projects for the boss. He used to be my welding equipment supplier and friend but now he's Da Boss. I work about 5 miles from home and luckily travel against the traffic both ways. It's cool. That's my story for now.

Old 9th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Mikey, good to see you back on the forum, and nice that you're still "making" parts. Good luck on that other issue...... Regards Paul
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start