The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Biltwell
Energy One Clutches
Lowbrow Customs
Sky Smith Insurance

883 Sportster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th December 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: buell x1 lightning
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
buelldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Briliant cheers for that DH
Old 21st February 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Thunderbolt
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1992
Tres Wright is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxsterUK View Post
Mine was a huge PITA to get off; took me two days. I made a sprocket locker to hold the sprocket tight while I whaled on the nut. They fastened it on with red Loctite and I started to doubt it was reverse threaded a couple of times when I couldn't get it to shift. Eventually I got it to move by standing on the 30" tommy bar on the socket I was using.

If there is any chance whatsoever you might take it off again then don't use red Loctite on it, use blue.
Sorry for bumping up an older thread, but I wanted to add my 2 cents since I've been through this as well and others searching for info on this are likely to turn up this thread. I have a '92 883 converted to a 1200 back when it was nearly new. I did the H-D belt drive conversion on it back then as well, that kit came with the 27t front pulley. I never did like the gearing, just about everywhere I ride the roads are "freeway" speeds and cruising at 65-70 put it right smack in the worst vibration range. I bought a stock 29t Sportster pulley from H-D a long time ago but didn't get around to installing it until a couple of years ago. As has been mentioned, the front pulley is reverse (left hand) threaded and it is a serious pain to remove. I tried everything I could think of for hours, I had a cheater bar on it and that would just spin the rear tire (even with the tranny engaged), I tried various things to lock the pulley to keep it from turning, etc. Finally after exhausting every curse word uttered since the dawn of time and even inventing many new and colorful ones, in disgust I went to Lowes and bought an impact wrench (I already had an air compressor). I hooked it up and kid you not, I had that nut off of there in seconds without having to brace the pulley or anything. It just zipped it right off. So if you're trying to remove that pulley then I highly recommend either getting an impact wrench or making good friends with someone that has one!

Regarding the difference between 27t and 29t on the freeway, it's significant. I really hated getting on the freeway before and staying on it for very long, but with the 29t it is much smoother at cruising speeds, I don't mind it at all now and in fact rather enjoy it
Old 9th March 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250 with Stage 2 heads
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
Harly_Hill_Billy is an unknown quantity at this point

I love this site. I am headed to pick up an impat wrench as well as trademark my long list of newly invented curse words...I pulled my derby cover, priamry chain with sprocket and clutch, stator, starter, and a bunch of other crap for a full overhall on my 1989 1250cc, and this darn drive sprocket nut is my kryptonite!!!!
Old 5th September 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: kz750
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
joesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant future

Just as i suspected...impact it is....3 foot cheater pipe and 2 guys couldn't get mine off... 5th gear block of wood wedged under the tire and a buddy holding the bike and brake..had to check the manual to make sure it was in fact reverse threaded was starting to wonder...got on here to see if there was something i was overlooking..guess i need to go big..
08 XL883;HAMMER 1250,Heavy breather,Rinehart 2-1, Power Vision,Ebc floating rotor,XR1200 Nissin caliper,1200R Mastery cylinder,RK shocks,1in tank lift,wire tuck,crossroads fork brace,low rise drag bars int.wired,Goodridge Ss line,Chrome valve stem covers, and a few top secret parts..
Old 5th September 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Other Motorcycle Model: bmw r75/6...gone
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
devilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura about

There's a picture in a post how I did it in this thread. No help, just a little imagination and plenty of coffee!

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...1323368&page=2

-DH
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th November 2013
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
BobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of light

Heat gun is MUCH cheaper than an impact wrench! Read the Loctite instructions. You must heat it to 500*F to remove. Your doing it the hard way.
Old 4th November 2013
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWLR View Post
Your doing it the hard way.
Well, if he was, he was doing it the hard way over a year ago.

'The green machine'