The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Product Reviews
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Product Reviews Here is where you can write up your own review of bikes, parts, or accessories.

Please do not post problems in here unless replying to a review. Please post problems with specific parts or accessories in their respective forum topics.

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
BIKE BUILDER
Lowbrow Customs
Lickscycles
RYCA Motors

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883 Deluxe - sold now
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWGi
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
CharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really nice
Default Michelin Commander II - UPDATE

Just wanted to say, I've just put 600+ miles on this past weekend in terrible conditions - I'm impressed.

Went up to Daytona, first weekend of Bike Week. Friday - I did 205 miles, of which better than 100 was in full rain, some torrential. Tire handled well on the highway, the last 165 miles of which were 2 up with luggage full.

There, I spent Friday nite - rain downtown, Saturday, rain mixed all over, plus rain Saturday night, very slick down town, but tire held perfectly on acceleration, cornering and braking. Coming back Sunday - beyond torrential rain. Just the nastiest stuff I've ever ridden in. Couldn't see road stripes right next to me, crawlin' in 2nd gear. When it did let up enough to see, the roads were like creeks. Shoulda been "No Wake Zone" signs up.... Anyway, two up, and everything was perfecto in the tire dept. Very impressed.

I did have one, and exactly one acceleration slip - when I gave it gas while the rear wheel ran the length of a wide road stripe (crosswalk stripe). I don't know if that could be avoided, regardless of tire type or brand. I mention it because it did happen.

In the noise department, there was a little "singing" when the road was smooth pavement and fairly wet. Dry, or textured pavement wet, no singing. Like the Metzeler's when they make noise (usually they do when dry), the noise was nearly uniform regardless of speed. Very weird, cant explain it, as you'd think it would go up and down in pitch with road speed changes.
Old 18th March 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Superfly3176 is an unknown quantity at this point

Curious as to how many miles you'll get out of these.
Old 18th March 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: '07
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB12Ss
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '09
Other Motorcycle Model: Hayabusa
Other Motorcycle Year: '99
Quay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the rough

Let's find out if they they can wear over the long haul. Probably not many folks have had a chance to wear their first sets out yet.
Old 6th April 2012

CharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really nice

Bout 2000 miles on the Commander II... no problems yet. End of April is Leesburg, another 600-750 mile trip. I have full confidence in this tire.
Old 7th April 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: '07
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB12Ss
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '09
Other Motorcycle Model: Hayabusa
Other Motorcycle Year: '99
Quay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the rough

I just got my Commanders. Hope to get them on in a few days.
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th April 2012

Mechanic at shop said it was the first he saw ... liked tread and feel (test ride).

I guess it comes down to - they're essentially the same price as the competition (give or take a little). If they wear no worse... its ok. If they wear better... we got a real winner. Time will tell.
Old 12th May 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Osco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really nice
Cool

Orderd n paid for,,hope to get them on next week,,,

I figure my Roadster Is worth a bit of new tire tech,,

Considering what I spent to make It handle right...
Old 15th May 2012

Another 800 miles - up to Leesburg Bikefest and back. No real rain to speak of, two up riding the whole time up there, solo on the up/back trip. So that makes almost 4000 miles on the back tire in two months. Lotta riding. Did a trip out to Sebring as well.

Commander II is holding up very well. No issues, no surprises, just smooth riding and... really still too early to tell about wear.
Old 28th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Loony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud of

Just about to order a set of these over metz Me880, any updates?

Loony

2004 XL1200 Roadster - TC88A Jester 5 (Thanks Rico) - EZ IMS - CVP Jet Needle - 48 pilot - 180 Main - K&N Airfilter - SEII Slipons.

[QUOTE][I][B]I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there.[/B][/I][/QUOTE]

Richard Feynman, Letter to Armando Garcia J, December 11, 1985
US educator & physicist (1918 - 1988)

Please take a look at this amazing task and worthy cause:

[B][U]Christian Nock Around Britain - Coastline Walk To highlight the plight of homelessness of ex-soldiers.[/U][/B]

[I][B][U]Tools needed for the Job[/U][/B][/I]

:gbflag 1 X Mk1 British Army Infantry Soldier, a Target and some time. :gbflag

[url]http://www.christianaroundbritain.co.uk/[/url]

[url]http://www.bmycharity.com/ChristianNock[/url]

[url]https://www.facebook.com/christian.britain.3?fref=ts[/url]
Old 10th February 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
JP1200R07 is a glorious beacon of lightJP1200R07 is a glorious beacon of lightJP1200R07 is a glorious beacon of lightJP1200R07 is a glorious beacon of lightJP1200R07 is a glorious beacon of lightJP1200R07 is a glorious beacon of lightJP1200R07 is a glorious beacon of lightJP1200R07 is a glorious beacon of lightJP1200R07 is a glorious beacon of lightJP1200R07 is a glorious beacon of lightJP1200R07 is a glorious beacon of light

Just wondering if anyone had any further updates or impressions on there tires. I'm looking to change the tires that came on the bike. (D401's manufactured in 2006!).
The Commander II's are on the short list.