The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
excel50 (73), blazer95 (64), mycle1000 (59), Barryn37 (53), QBALL (53), paulieb (52), cfranz (41), BMXATV (40), ravyn3 (35), Texas_Wild, hillpope (32)
Licks Holiday
Get Lowered
DK Customs
Fix My Hog

Superbrace.com
Tags
fuel, inside, seal, tank, weld

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: xlc
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
cminsel83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need to reseal my tank?

I recently welded a plate of steal to the bottom of a forty eight tank to cover the fuel pump hole and covert the tank to work with a carbed 05 XLC.

Do I need to reseal the inside of the tank? It was sealed from the factory, but I'm afraid the welding could have damaged it, or the new plate could rust from the inside. I put 3 coats of rustoleum on the weld which is located on the bottom of the tank.

I called a radiator shop and they quoted me $180 to clean and seal the inside. Seems a little pricey.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 26th March 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1982
Flame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond repute

I would re-seal it! But screw the radiator place, just do it yourself! Buy some Redkote and follow the instructions. Don't use Kreme coat!

Gamertag, PS4: Bikerdude__
Old 26th March 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 02
salrosa is on a distinguished roadsalrosa is on a distinguished road

I would seal it just to be on the safe side. Here is what I just used over the weekend. It's pretty easy but there is a lot of drying time in between steps. It took me all Saturday to complete. They had it shipped to me the next day too.
It's the same as Red Kote. I bought the complete motorcycle sealer kit.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Fuel_Tank_Sealer.html
Old 26th March 2012
Greasemonkey

thanks for the ideas!

I've did some more reading, and some guys say if the tank isn't already rusty you should be fine. My tank isn't rusted. They say if you always keep fuel in it, you should have a internal rust problem. Some say they never coat their tanks...

It's risky, but I might just leave it as is. I don't want to pay for the radiator place to do it, and I've heard horror stories about sealer kits you can buy. Knowing my luck, I'd make things worse by trying to seal it myself.
Old 27th March 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 02
salrosa is on a distinguished roadsalrosa is on a distinguished road

You could always run it without sealing then if you an issue later
PUll it off and coat it.
Know Thy Hog

Old 27th March 2012
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by salrosa View Post
You could always run it without sealing then if you an issue later
PUll it off and coat it.
Yep. I think that's what I'm going to do.

Thanks!!
Old 28th March 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: Rupp Roadster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
tmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to all

Metal tanks have a "patina" (I think I spelled that right) on the metal that helps slow down rust. Welding will do some damage to the patina but not as much as sandblasting it. They do make a rust removers that also restores the patina.

The one I used ( there must be others) is not cheap. "Rustol" ( http://www.sudco.com/rustol.html ) , around $47 a quart last time I bought some. Good part is that it mixes with water (5:1 or 10:1 depending on how much rust you want to disolve ) and it can be re-used up to 5 times.
1986 XLH 1100 (fixer-upper) // Engineers design things, Technicians make them work. --- 30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck .