The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
Biltwell
Foxcreek Leather
CV Performance
Progressive Suspension

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 0409
LORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the rough
Default XL883 2005 engine are they using aluminum for the buttom case? crack on the buttom

I just got XL883 engine at the buttom of it an oil leaking , so i checked up on it and there has been a weld job from previous owner... and i guess not good enough to keep the oil from leaking... so now i want to weld it, is the new sportster buttom case using an aluminum case or steel material?
Old 13th April 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S2T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
maru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud of

It is Aluminum.
Old 13th April 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 0409
LORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the roughLORD-ORI is a jewel in the rough

heres the trouble

Old 13th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh 1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
lil joe is a glorious beacon of lightlil joe is a glorious beacon of lightlil joe is a glorious beacon of lightlil joe is a glorious beacon of lightlil joe is a glorious beacon of lightlil joe is a glorious beacon of lightlil joe is a glorious beacon of lightlil joe is a glorious beacon of lightlil joe is a glorious beacon of lightlil joe is a glorious beacon of lightlil joe is a glorious beacon of light

That does not look like welding to me. Looks like someone put some JB Weld or
some type of epoxy on there for a quick fix. If I'm seeing it right, it's on the seam where
the 2 halves of the cases meet.
Old 13th April 2012
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil joe View Post
That does not look like welding to me. Looks like someone put some JB Weld or
some type of epoxy on there for a quick fix. If I'm seeing it right, it's on the seam where
the 2 halves of the cases meet.
Yep.....that's not weld. lil Joe is right........an attempt to patch....not fix is what THAT was/is.

Depending on how bad the crack/leak is.......I'd be more inclined to clean and degrease it thoroughly.....and try some silicone sealant!

Stuff: YES
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th April 2012
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

I've had some success doing what BWP describes on crankcase half leaks, but let me add one step ... hook your mightyvac up to the breathers and pull some vacuum to pull the silicone into the leak.

Old 13th April 2012
JESTER SYNDICATE

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing View Post
I've had some success doing what BWP describes on crankcase half leaks, but let me add one step ... hook your mightyvac up to the breathers and pull some vacuum to pull the silicone into the leak.
Great tip Aaron, thanks for passing that one along.
Old 13th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

The "weld" job underneath looks like JB Weld....
Old 13th April 2012
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1212 XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH STROKER
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1959
Jimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to behold

You don't want to weld the cases at the seam, if you ever need to split the cases it will make it impossable.

Try the silicone

Last edited by Jimbos883; 13th April 2012 at 17:13..